Regular expression question

I'm trying to write a script that will check a block of text and capitalize the first letter of sentences if required. Something like:

$str=StringRegExpReplace($teststr, "\. ([a-z])", "\. \1")

except that the back-reference needs to be converted to uppercase. Is this possible?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Yeah, that's just not going to happen the way you have it without a loop. I thought we had a _StringProper function?

Edit.. Example:

$s_text = "this is a test.  only to see if it works." & @CRLF & @TAB & "if it doesn't work, oh well."
$s_convert = _StringProperSentence($s_text)
MsgBox(0, 0, $s_convert)

Func _StringProperSentence($s_string)
    Local $a_sre = StringRegExp($s_string, "\s*(.)(.+?\.\s*)", 3)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1, 0, $s_string)
    Local $s_hold
    For $i_cc = 0 To UBound($a_sre) - 1 Step 2
        $s_hold &= StringUpper($a_sre[$i_cc]) & $a_sre[$i_cc + 1]
    Next
    Return $s_hold
EndFunc
Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

If you could use the output of the "StringUpper" function in the replace pattern, this would work great:

(I added "<upper>" & "</upper>" to see what should be getting translated to uppercase)

$s_text = "this is a test.  only to see if it works." & @CRLF & "if it doesn't work, oh well."
$s_convert = StringRegExpReplace($s_text, "(?m)(^|(\.  *))([a-z])", "\2<upper>" & StringUpper("\3") & "</upper>")
MsgBox(0, 0, $s_convert)

This is what gets output:

<upper>t</upper>his is a test.  <upper>o</upper>nly to see if it works.
<upper>i</upper>f it doesn't work, oh well.

Dan

• Moderators

If you could use the output of the "StringUpper" function in the replace pattern, this would work great:

(I added "<upper>" & "</upper>" to see what should be getting translated to uppercase)

$s_text = "this is a test.  only to see if it works." & @CRLF & "if it doesn't work, oh well."
$s_convert = StringRegExpReplace($s_text, "(?m)(^|(\.  *))([a-z])", "\2<upper>" & StringUpper("\3") & "</upper>")
MsgBox(0, 0, $s_convert)

This is what gets output:

<upper>t</upper>his is a test.  <upper>o</upper>nly to see if it works.
<upper>i</upper>f it doesn't work, oh well.

Dan

You can't use an outside function within the function. Functions are fired from right to left. So StringUpper() would fire before you even did the regular expression. Thus my statement on.. It can't be done that way.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.