Info on INI file structure

I've been using AHK for a bit and wanted to find out how the structure for INI files are done but no one there seemed to know {well, no one there answered my questions about it anyway}.

What I wanted was a way to create a file similar to INI files but structured differently.

Instead of:

[section]

Key=Value

I wanted to make something like:

[section1]

<SubSection1>

Key1=Value

Key2=Value

<SubSection2>

Key1=Value

[section2]

<SubSection1>

I know the ini functions here and in AHK cannot do this, but if someone could show me the means they read/write the information maybe I can arrange it to suit what I want. PLEASE????? :P

Thanks a bunch!

Ciao,

Blue Dra'Gon

well, not sure if autoit supports this, but i have a workaround.

Make up your own system to check for subs.

do a filereadline and check if the first character is "[", "<", or neither.

based on that would be, is what the line is.

tolle indicium

The problem there is, though I'll be able to read the specified lines, I don't see a way to replace a specific line. The FileWrite/FileWriteLine {FileAppend in AHK} both say that they write to the end of a file and that won't help.

The only way I can see past it is to read each line into a variable array - substituting the change in the appropriate place - then delete the file and rewrite it, but that would take processing time, depending on the length of the file. If nothing else I could do it this way, but I'd rather have a faster solution if possible.

Thanks for your reply though!

Ciao,

Blue Dra'Gon

Of course you could open one file for input, read a line and parse it, and then write it out to another file, line by line until you have finished processing all of your input file. Basically a loop until EOF inside a file open and file close statement.

This is fundamental programming algorithm - nothing to do with AHK, AutoIt, or any other language. Once you have mastered the concept, coding it any programming language should be fairly straightforward.

Hint: Forget about reading files into arrays - it complicates things too much. Read about case statements in the help file instead.

Of course you could open one file for input, read a line and parse it, and then write it out to another file, line by line until you have finished processing all of your input file. Basically a loop until EOF inside a file open and file close statement.

This is fundamental programming algorithm - nothing to do with AHK, AutoIt, or any other language. Once you have mastered the concept, coding it any programming language should be fairly straightforward.

Hint: Forget about reading files into arrays - it complicates things too much. Read about case statements in the help file instead.

Ah, yeah the "Select...Case...EndSelect" would be perfect for a lot of stuff I'm trying out. Except I'm working with AHK currently {might have to switch over to AutoIt, or at least use it for a few things} and they don't have it as far as I can tell. I was thinking of the arrays simply because it would be easy to assign the changes to the correct line number, since the line number will be known, then do a loop to put the whole mess into another file. Anyway, however I accomplish it, it's going to be longer than a simple iniread/iniwrite line would be :P .

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

Ciao,

Blue Dra'Gon

Ah, yeah the "Select...Case...EndSelect" would be perfect for a lot of stuff I'm trying out. Except I'm working with AHK currently {might have to switch over to AutoIt, or at least use it for a few things} and they don't have it as far as I can tell. I was thinking of the arrays simply because it would be easy to assign the changes to the correct line number, since the line number will be known, then do a loop to put the whole mess into another file. Anyway, however I accomplish it, it's going to be longer than a simple iniread/iniwrite line would be :P .

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

Ciao,

Blue Dra'Gon