Obtaining the harddrive serial number

Well I cant assume that they would all have it installed. I know for a fact that harddrive serial numbers are completely unique to each computer so i was going to use this as a type of method to protect software that i create.

since more is involved than i originally thought, is this the best way and would i be overdoing it to go this far?

Well I cant assume that they would all have it installed. I know for a fact that harddrive serial numbers are completely unique to each computer so i was going to use this as a type of method to protect software that i create.

since more is involved than i originally thought, is this the best way and would i be overdoing it to go this far?

So if i buy a new harddrive - then what ??

Start here if you are new Valuater's AutoIT 1-2-3Looking for an UDF - Look hereDo you need to do it twice - Autoit

I know of back up software that says it can copy the hdd serial numbers, but I haven't tried it out yet. You could try getting the processor id as well or instead of.

Func GetProcessorId()
$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\localhost\root\CIMV2")
$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Processor", "WQL",0x10+0x20)
If IsObj($colItems) Then
    For $objItem In $colItems
    Local $PROC_ID = $objItem.ProcessorId
    Next
    Return $PROC_ID
Else
    Return 0
EndIf
EndFunc

MsgBox(0,"",GetProcessorId())

I got this from the forums, but I don't remember who the poster was.

Trust me to make SkyNet with AutoIt...

Thank you DarkEngineer.

Shevilie: You should be shot. Don't post something that ridiculous next time. I'm pretty sure that no one is going to buy a new harddrive just to get past detection...

I think you took that the wrong way. Microsoft does this with Windows activation. Once you activate Windows, it is bound to your hardware within a certain tolerance. You are allowed to change a few pieces of hardware before you are forced re-activate. This can be triggered by simply replacing a defective hard drive.