Strange reaction to a strange situation when compiling

I'm using SciTe to do my compiling so I'm not sure if this is a AutoIT compiler issue or a SciTe issue.

I purposely want to compile my file and have it save as <filename>.upd, not <filename>.exe which is what is constantly being created.

The reason for this is that I'm making updater files for my various projects to deal with users so they can check to see if the version they have is current and if not, download the updater file (which gets saved as <filename>.exe and then runs. The updater allows the user to do a on-the-spot update (closes the project app, downloads the newer version file, overwrites the older file, and restarts the app...ala Firefox updates).

This way I can store all the related files together on my website:

project.exe <- actual project file

project.var <- simple text file with current version "2.01"; project queries this and if newer gets project.upd

project.upd <- updater file that gets d/l'ed and renamed to update.exe on user PC

I'm currently just renaming the .exe to my .upd naming format so no biggie...just thought I'd let you guys know.

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'

#include <file.au3>
$path=@scriptdir&"\"
While 1
if FileExists($path&"project.exe") then FileMove($path&"project.exe",$path&"project.upd")
Sleep(100)
Wend

You have this running and when you compile it to where you want (change the $path varible) and it renames it.

Is that what you wanted?

Trust me to make SkyNet with AutoIt...

I think your missing the point...

The compiler at build-time is not generating the filename that I want/specify.

I'm not looking for code to do a filename change...I just thought it was odd that it wasn't respecting the filename that I was passing, even though it's and executable and I'm passing a filename that does not end in '.exe'

I just had a look at your website, and I noticed down the bottom there was this:

Best viewed in portrait orientation :: v >= 768, h >= 1024

v >= 768, h >= 1024 is not portrait, its landscape.

Or was it a typo (w>=768, h>=1024)?

Edited by TheDarkEngineer

Trust me to make SkyNet with AutoIt...

I just had a look at your website, and I noticed down the bottom there was this:

v >= 768, h >= 1024 is not portrait, its landscape.

Or was it a typo (w>=768, h>=1024)?

Hehehe...no typo. You're thinking about it wrong. You're right in that 768 x 1024 is landscape. However, I'm just stating that a vertical size greater than 768 and a horizontal size greater than 1024 is recommended viewing for my site...the bigger the better. My site templates are at most 768 wide...hence the need to specify a vertical requirement. Horizontal...the skies the limit.

"," != "x"

Glad to see some people are checking out my site :-)

It probably will not work - in SciTe I used to be able to compile my screensavers directly to a .scr extension but in more recent versions, you can't do this any longer. Probably there was a good reason the developers changed this, so I didn't complain or make a feature request in the appropriate forum.

Edit: I take that back - Pain's suggestion does work: Thanks to Jos's hint, I found out that the following will compile my .au3 file directly to a .scr ...

RunWait('"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Beta\Aut2Exe\Aut2exe" /in "C:\My Documents\SquirrelWare Light_A_Candle\Light a Candle.au3" /out C:\sq.scr /nopack', "", @SW_HIDE)

So you could probably make a windows shortcut with your compiling syntax as its target. Look in the AutoIt help file under

AutoIt > Using AutoIt > Compiling Scripts

for the correct syntax. You don't get your #AutoIt3Wrapper_ ... lines to work for you when you compile this way, but you can control the compression used and specify an icon.

Edited by Squirrely1

Das Häschen benutzt Radar