PEAP Settings on LAN Connection

Hi Guys,

I am a first time poster, hopefully you may be able to help me out. So far after using AutoIT for a day, I can see how powerful this scripting language truly is!

Ok down to my question:

I am currently working on a project for a large university where the students have to change their LAN setting to authenticate on their username and password. This is done by going into the authentication tab in LAN settings and changing the certificate type among other things. I would like to automate this for all students. Having originally written a script in C# for the xp side of things I knew it was possible to change everything I needed to change through registry. However, I cane to do vista and to my horror the registry setting (EAPOL I think the key is called) does not exist.

I came accross AutoIT and found that imitating user interface in my opinion is a much neater and user friendly way of doing this.

My problem is that a day isn't long enough to be able to learn this script in enough detail to be able to finish this project. We have a deadline looming and I have so managed to open up the LAN settings tab with code I have found on this website. The code is as follows:

; Turn Off UAC
#RequireAdmin
RegWrite('HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies','EnableLUA','REG_DWORD',0)

; Load the Network Config Panel
Run ( "rundll32.exe shell32,Control_RunDLL Ncpa.cpl" )
WinWaitActive("Network Connections")

; Search for the LAN
$nic = ControlListView("Network Connections", "", "SysListView321", "FindItem", "Local Area Connection")

; Select the LAN and execture the properties
ControlFocus("Network Connections", "", ControlListView("Network Connections", "", "SysListView321", "Select", $nic))
Send("!{Enter}")

; get properties
WinWait("Local Area Connection Properties")
If Not WinActive("Local Area Network Connection Properties") Then 
WinActivate("Local Area Network Connection Properties")
EndIf

But getting to the authentication tab and changing settings is beyond me at the moment.

If someone would be nice enough to point me in the right direction with the following tasks I would be eternally grateful:

- Starting a service and setting it to automatic start on login

Starting this would be something like this?

$status = _ServiceStart("WLAN")

- Switching to the authentication tab on LAN properties

- Changing the EAP type in the drop down box on said authentication tab

- Selecting and unselecting radio boxes

As I search for how to do these things myself I may well come accross solutions. If I do I will post them here.

thanks in advance,

Matt

Edited by nononomebusy

• Moderators

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Even if I am adding further information? surely, it doesn't matter if I am solving my own solution. I don't find that irritating at all, in fact if someone comes accross this thread and is in need of a solution to this, it is good for them to see my thought process.

Please try and be constructive next time instead of pretending to be the internet police.

addition: as I see you are a mod, I can see this community isn't a supportive one. I'll solve my problem myself from now on thinks

Edited by nononomebusy

You've got the wrong end of the stick here. This community is a VERY supportive one. The language is great, the helpfile is one of the best I have ever seen for any language. If you need to post again, and no one has posted, there is a nifty feature called the edit button.

Also one other thing you must learn is respect. There are many members who have been for a long time, Smoke_N included, and has earned their position. He has put a s**tload of time helping people like you, me, and half the world. His own time too. So give him a little more respect... ;)

So now you have learnt. Don't bump your thread more than once in a 24 hour period, and respect other members.

Savvy?

Edited by BrettF

You've got the wrong end of the stick here. This community is a VERY supportive one. The language is great, the helpfile is one of the best I have ever seen for any language. If you need to post again, and no one has posted, there is a nifty feature called the edit button.

Also one other thing you must learn is respect. There are many members who have been for a long time, Smoke_N included, and has earned their position. He has put a s**tload of time helping people like you, me, and half the world. His own time too. So give him a little more respect... ;)

So now you have learnt. Don't bump your thread more than once in a 24 hour period, and respect other members.

Savvy?

As I feel you have.

I didn't feel that I bumped the thread, I said in my original post I would add information as it came through, and after editing the post once, it would not let me edit it again.

Even if I did bump my thread it wasn't on the intention of it being seen, it was on the intention that I could keep it up to date as I found more information out.

Regardless of whether or not what I did was wrong, there are much more subtle and less rude ways of informing me than listing a bunch of links (there are for instance personal messages for such things).

As for respect, I don't think it is me who needs to learn it.

As for supportive community, my first impressions are not good ones.

• Moderators

Even if I am adding further information? surely, it doesn't matter if I am solving my own solution. I don't find that irritating at all, in fact if someone comes accross this thread and is in need of a solution to this, it is good for them to see my thought process.

Please try and be constructive next time instead of pretending to be the internet police.

addition: as I see you are a mod, I can see this community isn't a supportive one. I'll solve my problem myself from now on thinks

As I feel you have.

I didn't feel that I bumped the thread, I said in my original post I would add information as it came through, and after editing the post once, it would not let me edit it again.

Even if I did bump my thread it wasn't on the intention of it being seen, it was on the intention that I could keep it up to date as I found more information out.

Regardless of whether or not what I did was wrong, there are much more subtle and less rude ways of informing me than listing a bunch of links (there are for instance personal messages for such things).

As for respect, I don't think it is me who needs to learn it.

As for supportive community, my first impressions are not good ones.

1. I am one of this forums police. We try to keep it fair to those that post.

2. My links are because I'm tired of repeating myself with people. And it's a way for you to see just how annoying it is.

I personally could care less what peoples opinions are of me or how I handle this forums policing. If you have an issue, take it up with the administrator or one of the other Mods.

I can appreciate your eagerness to learn, we have all been there at one time. I can appreciate you're a problem solver (so few here are). Don't you think it makes more sense to put everything together into one post when you've finished, rather than posting needlessly every 20 minutes (effecting everyone here that is trying to get help themselves)?

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.