where to start on GUI to control hardware

A long term project I want to start on is creating a visual program that will allow me to interact with some hardware (most likely through USB) such as a microcontroller, or some other simple device that I can make. however, I have no idea where to start. even if I don't have the hardware yet, I'd like to at least get started on the program so I have at least some basic idea of how to do it once I have the hardware. Where should I start?

Christianity: In the beginning, there was God, who always was there and created everything.Atheism: In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded. Both sides look bad...

Sorry I wasn't clear I guess. I am referring more to how to control the hardware from the program than how to do the actual program itself. What is involved in controlling the hardware?

Christianity: In the beginning, there was God, who always was there and created everything.Atheism: In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded. Both sides look bad...

Sorry I wasn't clear I guess. I am referring more to how to control the hardware from the program than how to do the actual program itself. What is involved in controlling the hardware?

Google up Phidgets. They are USB connected hobby modules, and there is Windows software to install that provides a COM API. AutoIt can use most COM Object interfaces.

Another AutoIt user has made it work.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Actually, one more question. Say I wanted to ignore the Phidgets completely and make it all myself. What is involved in actually controlling the hardware so that, for example, I could make my own sensor or servo or whatever and then make the program to link it to the autoit program? An example code would be nice if available. Thanks

Actually, one more question. Say I wanted to ignore the Phidgets completely and make it all myself. What is involved in actually controlling the hardware so that, for example, I could make my own sensor or servo or whatever and then make the program to link it to the autoit program? An example code would be nice if available. Thanks

It's too specific to the hardware involved to say in advance. What USB chipset will you put in your device? What bits in what registers will contain function codes, status, and interrupt codes? What software interface will provide access to those registers? Etc., etc...

AutoIt is a Windows API level scripting language. Until your device has been installed up to the level of a Windows API (i.e. an installable driver that creates a COM interface) this is not an AutoIt question.

;)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law