Windows for output

Is there a UDF or some function I am missing to get simple easy window(s) to write to and get input from ala MsgBox and InputBox etc. WITHOUT having to waste timing designing a whole GUI interface from scratch.

I need a window similar to MsgBox that can have its window title set, add an icon and then write to it with ConsoleWrite or whatever.

Its great that the ability to use some very fancy GUI interfaces is there, but for what I am doing I don't need all that and MsgBox is not up to it either.

Anything else??

Searches just lead back to doing GUI stuff, that takes away writing the program to actually get things done.

Searches just lead back to doing GUI stuff, that takes away writing the program to actually get things done.

Heavens! We wouldn't anyone to have to do something crazy, like learn new things here!

;)

All seriousness aside, you can write a working GUI script in three lines of code, what's your problem with it?

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, GUICreate("Test Title", 300, 200))
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3

:D

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Heavens! We wouldn't anyone to have to something crazy, like learn new things here!

All seriousness aside, you can write a working GUI script in three lines of code, what's your problem with it?

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, GUICreate("Test Title", 300, 200))
Do
Until GUIGetMsg() = -3
Simple I am tasked with writing scripts that get W O R K done. Getting that work done does not involve re-creating an GUI interface for simple tasks. If I was creating something else like a video player then that would be different, and the schedule would be different.

Scripts don't need fancy GUI windows. I need a screen that will take output and put it up on the screen for the [l]users to read and interact with.

A window manager is responsible for drawing that stuff, be it simple winodws or complex ones.

I am not here to rewrite KDE in AutoIt I am here to get my specific tasks done. Read some spreadsheets, compare a MySQL query to the spreadsheets, find the errors the [l]uers made and get it corrected. None of this requires some of the very fancy GUI stuff AutoIt is capable of.

An enhanced MsgBox, call it WinBox, that stays on the screen and acts like a window for output so that ConsoleWrite goes there, InputBox etc....I am not installing SciTE on [l]users machines so they can see ConsoleWrite output, nor do I want a shell window open.

So thats great AutoIt has all these wonderful GUI creation functions etc., but some of us need a whole lot less simple things and need to spend time on the underlying code that gets the work done, and not on GUI stuff windows.

I am glad you have the time for your scripts / programs to create them. I like many other programmers have tasks that have zero timelines, meaning they needed to be done yesterday.

I like many other programmers have tasks that have zero timelines, meaning they needed to be done yesterday.

Wow you come across very rude and not very bright. The fact that you call yourself a 'programmer' is funny since most of the stuff you had to say makes no sense.

Your stipulations: "I need a window similar to MsgBox that can have its window title set, add an icon and then write to it with ConsoleWrite or whatever."

MsgBox does all of this, so what is it you need that MsgBox does NOT do?

What's preventing you to have an exe displaying a messagebox?

You could pass parameters to that exe and the paramaters can be the title, the text, the icon ...

All you have to do is your script to call that and passing parameters. You seem to know enough about programming so there is no point for me to write you a sample code since you are more than able to do it yourself.

And ... you can be more polite ... that can't hurt at all.

Edited by enaiman

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

I am glad you have the time for your scripts / programs to create them. I like many other programmers have tasks that have zero timelines, meaning they needed to be done yesterday.

Not to sound too rude in response, but in the time it took you to respond at such length, you probably could have written your own custom, re-useable, MsgBox-like function in AutoIt that would do all the things you want.

Code it once and re-use it.

Tweak it if you need to down the road.

If that's too much to ask, then maybe AutoIt isn't the right tool for you.