Automatic Updates Tool

spudw2k

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I've sat on this code for a long time and recently started playing with it. I have been tweaking it for my own purposes, and wonder if there is a way to determine the percent completed for each update. I would also like to know if there is a way to get a return message for an update that failed, and several updates fail to install properly such as Silverlight and Security Essentials which cause nasty bonks. I am testing primarily on Windows XP.

Thanks for any suggestions, and if this script has been updated in the last year and a half I'd love to see where it is now!

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

• 11 months later...

Here I go necroposting again, but this time with an update.  Thanks to spudw2k for the initial code!

I have recoded this tool primarily so it will restart the machine when needed and keep running itself until all updates are done.  Could have done it via registry, just thought All UsersStartup was easier at the time.  Works very well, only occasional hiccups like it can't tell that it finished an update and fails to move on, but is a very helpful tool for those of us who have dozens of reloads to do every week!

Ian

AUT7.au3

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

Hey sorry I missed your earlier posts.  I don't see these older posts popup in "My Content" and don't bother to look through my old posts very often.  Glad to see you found use of it and brought it new life.

You had most of what I wanted out of it done, I just put a little icing on it.  Hopefully all of the techs out there who have to deal with a million updates a week can benefit.

Ian

My projects:

Out of curiosity, what platform(s) are you using it on?  XP, 7?

edit: nm, I assume your are using this on Win 7 do to the nature of your uploaded script title (AUT7). :doh:

Edited by spudw2k

LOL, just a coincidence, it is used on XP and above, 7 was just the build number.

Occasionally on XP it will not seem to know an update has finished but in general works well.

Ian

My projects:

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo

I have just try to test this cool software for auto updates winodws but i run into a little problem,

when i run the script it start to download all the Language packs and them i dont need to have install

is there a way around thins problem ?

Hallo

I have just try to test this cool software for auto updates winodws but i run into a little problem,

when i run the script it start to download all the Language packs and them i dont need to have install

is there a way around thins problem ?

What version of Windows is it?  If Vista or 7 Ultimate I could understand it doing that, since (I think) those are the only versions that list language packs in the updates.

This tool downloads and installs all critical and optional updates (which I love!), but I can understand why this would not be something you would want.  The fix is actually going to be very easy!  All you have to do is look for a common word in the description of those updates, such as "language".  Add that word to the $BannedList at the top of the code, and you're done.  So, as I wrote it, the line reads:

$BannedList = StringSplit("Essentials|Silverlight|Malicious|Bing", "|")

You would probably just need to make the line:

$BannedList = StringSplit("Essentials|Silverlight|Malicious|Bing|Language", "|")

Enjoy!

Ian

PS - Please do post back with the correct word that prevents the downloading and installation of the language packs so I can include it in the code posted here!  THANKS

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• 2 years later...

Just delete that line in the script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

Barrtrek,

No, the error occurs because that constant is now declared in one of the include files, so trying to redeclare it in the script is not allowed.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Wow, this script resurfaced again huh?  Frankly I'm surprised it still worked somewhat, not just because AutoIt has updated, but so has Windows. I've grown a lot as an AutoIt scripter since then and felt like this script could use a face lift.  I've updated/rewrote the code to incorporate some standards and best practices I've adopted.  I also left the old script up so people can compare the two and see what code improvement looks like over time...in this very specific instance.  Might be eye-opening for some.  See my first post in this thread with the updated code.

@llewxam - Might want to take a looksie just to see what I did.

...  I've updated/rewrote the code ...
SciTE v.3.6.2.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0409)
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "G:\Shared\shared\Automatic Updates Tool.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
"G:\Shared\shared\Automatic Updates Tool.au3" : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:
Return $oSearcher.GetTotalHistoryCount
Return $oSearcher^ ERROR
Edited by argumentum

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

Cool, glad to see it has been re-worked.  I'm out of the IT world now however, so I don't have dozens of machines to test it on to offer feedback.  On my home PC, Win10Pro, the "Finding Needed Updates" SplashText never went away, and no updates were found.  It sat for several minutes before I killed the task.  The old version didn't fare any better though, so Win10 may not offer the same ability to tap in to the Update service.

If there is anything I can do to help figure out if Win10 has an issue please let me know.

Ian

My projects:

SciTE v.3.6.2.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/  CPU:X64 OS:X64    Environment(Language:0409)
>Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "G:\Shared\shared\Automatic Updates Tool.au3"    
--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop
"G:\Shared\shared\Automatic Updates Tool.au3" : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.:
Return $oSearcher.GetTotalHistoryCount
Return $oSearcher^ ERROR

Did you try compiling, then right-clicking the EXE and "Run As Administrator"?

Ian

My projects:

Did you try compiling, then right-clicking the EXE and "Run As Administrator"?
Ian

#RequireAdmin
#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_requestedExecutionLevel=requireAdministrator
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****

just compile it and run as Admin. Same error.
Nothing fails other than 
$oSearcher.GetTotalHistoryCount 
Have no clue of why.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

I've seen some issues in environments that use non-standard WSUS or WindowsUpdate.  I've never had a chance to track down those issues, but I have seen this not work on some machines.  I'm not sure if that is applicable to your environment or not.  

I looked through the code and best I can tell I "validate" the Search Obj just before the .GetTotalHistoryCount method is called.  Beyond that I'm not sure how else to "validate" the object before calling the method.  I'll look to see what other properties or methods may be available to validate the object before calling .GetTotal...   

Thanks for trying it out and bringing it to my attention as it does not occur on the machines I've tested with lately.

Cool, glad to see it has been re-worked.  I'm out of the IT world now however, so I don't have dozens of machines to test it on to offer feedback.  On my home PC, Win10Pro, the "Finding Needed Updates" SplashText never went away, and no updates were found.  It sat for several minutes before I killed the task.  The old version didn't fare any better though, so Win10 may not offer the same ability to tap in to the Update service.

If there is anything I can do to help figure out if Win10 has an issue please let me know.

Ian

Interesting.  I had no issues on my Win10Pro PC at home.  My PC did bring up two items detected as needed and I was able to select one I wanted to download and install, and did so within the tool. 

I'm curious...if you use Windows Update, does it show patches are needed?  I wonder if no patches are needed is causing a weird loop or condition that is keeping the function open.  On another computer I end up with "No patches needed" in the list view after a couple of min, which is the intended result if in fact no patches are detected as needed.

I appreciate your feedback and the time you took to test.

meh, my Updates is having issues by the looks of it - 3 are ready but 2 won't download, and I don't have time today to tinker and get things happy again.  If I do, I will re-test with the updated script before letting Windows install the updates.

Ian

My projects: