message system

hi i'm writing a message system so that you can log in and send messages to other peopele in the system i have already written the GUi but i dont know witch way i should use for storing the users and storing the messages does somebody have any good ideas the best way i think it is is .ini with a server aplication but that dont work so well

do you want to create a program for LAN chat? or a messenger to chat with others on net?

its not a chat its more like mail you can send and recieve messages even when you are not online its just sending messages and when i log in i can see hey i have one new message then i can read it and send one back

I would have it so when someone sends you a message to the server it writes it to a line in a file. When you log on it should read a duplicate file on your computer read each line one at a time, comparing them to see if they are equal, then displaying the lines that are not equal. Then replace the file on your computer with the file on the server.... Actually I think I just figured out a way to fix a bug in mine with what I just typed lol. If you would like I can put what I have up here, it's the result of many weeks of learning, testing, patching so it's not very pretty right now. But the part with the user list could help you. but instead of it having a file on the server and on your computer, mine refreshes the list every 5 seconds in-case a new person has signed on.

Giggity

I would have it so when someone sends you a message to the server it writes it to a line in a file. When you log on it should read a duplicate file on your computer read each line one at a time, comparing them to see if they are equal, then displaying the lines that are not equal. Then replace the file on your computer with the file on the server.... Actually I think I just figured out a way to fix a bug in mine with what I just typed lol. If you would like I can put what I have up here, it's the result of many weeks of learning, testing, patching so it's not very pretty right now. But the part with the user list could help you. but instead of it having a file on the server and on your computer, mine refreshes the list every 5 seconds in-case a new person has signed on.

hmm cool but my system does not report who is online its just send the message and eatch time you log on it checks the messages

but i wanne send you my code if you could send me your code maby we can do more together

p.s. how do you do it if there are more then one messages? in the inbox?

and how do you do it if i wanne remove my messages after reading?

Edited by yucatan

I'm just saying that my online system is similar to what you want for your inbox system. I use a For loop to add all the people that are online to a list. Send me your code, I'll send you mine, and we'll work some things out.

i have sended you my code

• 2 weeks later...

hmm cool but my system does not report who is online its just send the message and eatch time you log on it checks the messages

but i wanne send you my code if you could send me your code maby we can do more together

p.s. how do you do it if there are more then one messages? in the inbox?

and how do you do it if i wanne remove my messages after reading?

I have been trying this myself and I think i may have come up with a way. it seams that you would have to have every

combination possible, for it to work, even if it read it one word at a time, if only we could come up with a way to make each set of words loop back to the first set, and send it out each time. Also we would have to come up with a way to shorten the address, on the recievers end. and I don't think hotkeys are quite hot enough. they would be to anoying. maybe create something that they put numbers into that creates a longer address, without them doing much work, then they hit enter, and up pops the message. meaning we are going to have to also create something that when we create the message in the first place, will tell the sender the short set of numbers for the reciever to enter, to get the message. they may have to enter a series of addresses, if the message is any longer than 4 or 5 words.

Edited by program builder