dd.exe

mariano

dd.exe (think of it as "double data") is a tiny tool for performing fast high/low level copies. It can deal not only with normal files but with many sorts of devices.

Some of its features are also present in AutoIt, but never as fast as a really compiled tool. Other feautres, AFAIK, are simply imposible to do with AutoIt.

And that's why I decided to make this pack. DD.exe is a ported version of the dd *nix shell command. It needs the Cygwin DLLs bundled with this package.

Cygwin is free software released under the GPL. Please, read carefully the license terms in http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

With dd.exe you can provide your AutoIt scripts with advanced features like extracting ISO files, raw-writting a floppy, directly send some text to a printer, use your serial ports, get some music played, recover a Master Boot Record, backup your HD partitions, instantly create null-filled files, manage your clipboard, direct read/write to memory, etc. etc. It's up to you and your imagination to create wonderful apps with it.

This zip contents:

-The exe and the required libraries.

-An AutoIt demo script.

-dd_help.txt, a dump of the brief help that you get typing dd --help. You'll see and "ADDED" section: that was not in the original help of the file. I appended that text cause it can be a great primer to the dd/gycwin sintax.

-dd_manual.txt is the complete manual of the command. Please note that I didn't care about matching the manual and command versions; more, the CygWin version is quite limited when compared with the original one. Some options/parameters could not work or do it in a different way.

Depending on the feedback about this package I might make more with other usefull tools for being used in AutoIt scripts. Please don't ask me for more demo scripts, several apps using dd, a complete reference manual and things like that. More, don't mail me saying "hey, that readme.txt of yours is rather a mess". Please note that:

-Everyone around this forum is supposed to be a programmer, right?.

-I'll be back at work in september the 1st and I won't have lots of spare time.

-Now I'm involved in a couple of important personal projects. Releasing packages like this one is just my 2 cents to the community, not a priority at all as you can imagine. I'm not interested in a big chatting about them. If you like it, take my work "as is" and if you miss something, get it done by yourself and share it!

Download: http://www.atma.es/dd.zip

28-Aug-2008

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables,What the heck does a humanitarian eat?"

"I hear voices in my head, but I ignore them and continue on killing."

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.

-Everyone around this forum is supposed to be a programmer, right?

No :D

;) Yeah... you know what I mean, maybe amateur programmers but programmers after all. My tool is intended for low level operations, some of them are simply too risky. I just wanted to make clear that I'm not going to provide support for each single use of it. For ex. if someone wants to mess with his partitions or MBR, I don't want them to complain "hey, you didn't warn me about bla bla..."

Draygoes: Thank you very much! I wish in anytime soon we will see in this forum some new kinds of apps like DVD rippers, HD managers, recovery tools, etc.