UDF creation

Dear Autoit Community,

I am in the process of learning how to use autoit. I came across a UDF pair in the forums, "FileRegister.au3" and "FileUnregister". I copied them into my autoit\include: sub directory. When I attempted to use them no dice. Unknown function says scite.

I then searched the forums for awhile and came across a note saying that I should add the heading

"#AutoIt3Wrapper_au3check_parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6"

to the top of my script. Done, still no dice. Now scite says that I have variables that are used before being declared. This is progress though because I am now taken to the "FileRegister.au3" for the error notice. I have had this happen to me before when I did not include the "#include<some_UDF.au3>".

I don't know what I am supposed to be doing, so it is very difficult to figure out what I am doing wrong...

I am sure this issue has already been addressed, but I have been unable to find it as of yet. Would anyone be so kind as to point me toward a step by step set of instructions for creating and using a personal or rather, nonstandard UDF?

Thank you for your time and trouble. The only thing I have to say for myself is that perhaps someday I will be proficient enough that I can answer questions for some other person.

Sorry, I thought that the script would be displayed, in the forum window.

Here it is. I am trying to get a flash drive loaded with keynote, and an autoit exe that will open a keynote file. I Tried it without the registration... that is without having keynote installed on a machine, and it tilted because windows was unfamiliar with the file extension. All worked well 0n my machine where keynote is installed. I am sure I could make this work as is, but I want to learn how to do thing the right way.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_au3check_parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6

#Include <Array.au3>

#Include <FileRegister.au3>

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.13.7 (beta)

Author: myName

Script Function:

Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here

local $target

local $here

local $drive

Local $counter

$drive=DriveGetDrive ( "all" )

for $counter = 1 to $drive[0]

local $label =DriveGetLabel ( $drive[$counter] )

If $label = "Bernie's" Then

local $target = $drive[$counter] & " "&$label

local $here = $drive[$counter]

ExitLoop

EndIf

Next

_FileRegister ("knt", $here&"\KeyNote_Directory\keynote.exe", "Open with ProgramName", 1,"", "KeyNote file")

ShellExecute($here&"\KeyNote_Directory\keynote.exe",$here&"\My KeyNote files\bernie's notes.knt")

What I can see so far: You declare "local" variables in global scope and that's not a good practice at all - use Dim or Global.

You will declare variables as "local" inside functions - not on the main script.

Advice - declare only variables on top of your script (Dim or Global) - the following lines, get rid of "local" thing (local $label =DriveGetLabel ( $drive[$counter] )

)and try again.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

• 4 weeks later...

__________________________________Resolution____________________________________

sorry, but I thought I had already posted the result. After trying a few things we (mostly enaiman) determined that the udf name I was trying to call was not the same as the one listed. I thought that you had to prefix the name of a function you called upon with an underscore... Not So.

What I had was this: Notice the little red fellow right before ' FileRegister("knt..... ' , that was my problem.

#Include <FileRegister.au3>

_FileRegister ("knt", $here&"\KeyNote_Directory\keynote.exe", "Open with ProgramName", 1,"", "KeyNote file")

I told autoit to include FileRegister.au3. That means that I could then call upon the functions that are written in FileRegister.au3. However I called upon a bogus function, because I changed the name by putting the underscore in front.

After removing the underscore all better, as far as making things work right. Alas I was still not able to make keynote behave. At length I locked the keyboard and mouse then pulled up a run box, and used it to activate the file I wanted. If anyone comes across a better way, or sees something I did wrong please let me know. I appreciate the opportunity to learn when I have made a mistake. Below is the final code that I used.

#Include <Array.au3>

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.13.7 (beta)

Author: LostZXC

Script Function: open a keynote file on a flashdrive

Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here

global $target

global $here

global $drive

global $counter

global $label

global $here1

$drive=DriveGetDrive ( "all" )

for $counter = 1 to $drive[0]

$label =DriveGetLabel ( $drive[$counter] )

If $label = "Bernie's" Then

$target = $drive[$counter] & " "&$label

$here = $drive[$counter]

ExitLoop

EndIf

Next

$here1 = StringStripWS($here,3)

If $here1 = "" Then

MsgBox(0,"Uh Oh !!!","I could not find the drive labeled [bernie's]. If you have renamed it please change it back")

Exit

EndIf

Send("{Lwindown}r{LwinUp}")

Do

sleep(100)

Until WinActive("Run") = 1

If WinActive("Run") = 1 Then

Send( $here & '\KeyNote_Directory\keynote.exe "' & $here & "\My KeyNote files\bernie'" & 's notes.knt"{enter}')

EndIf

Exit

If you have

#include <udffile.au3>

then scite will look in the include file for product or Beta depending on how you ask it to run or compile. (There is a way to set a list of folders to search but I've forgotten, someone is bound to say.)

If =you want to have the udf in the script dir then

#include "udffile.au3"

or if you simply want to have it some other folder then

#include "c:\scripts\autoit\folder3\udffile.au3"

Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.