Vista Compatibility

It's documented with ProcessClose():

If multiple processes have the same name, the one with the highest PID is terminated--regardless of how recently the process was spawned.

I guess that needs propagated to all the Process functions. As well as a bit of general cleanup as some of the comments are clearly copy & paste mistakes or not clear English.

You don't really define "communicate" so nobody can realistically answer your question.

It's documented with ProcessClose():

I guess that needs propagated to all the Process functions. As well as a bit of general cleanup as some of the comments are clearly copy & paste mistakes or not clear English.

You don't really define "communicate" so nobody can realistically answer your question.

Well, now that's not surprising that I didn't define communicate -- I seem to be having problems communicating lately: whether verbally (wife will testify), in writing (read this thread), or running my application in a mulit-user account environment! ;)

Programming wise, I mean communicate in the sense of window messaging.

I could just send a dummy message to a process whose PID is returned by ProcessExists. If it's a process running under the same user account, it should receive the message; if it's a process running under a different user account -- well then, I was not able to obtain a handle to the window's process. That could be the test I suppose: if I can obtain a handle to the process's communication window, then I can communicate with it, or at least should be able to; if I can't obtain the handle then either 1) the process is running under a different account or 2) the WinGetHandle failed for some other reason. Currently, the programming assumes that if the WinGetHandle fails, there's a problem...

For some reason, I just don't think the WinGetHandle test is the best solution -- it doesn't seem "clean". I have to confess that I didn't forsee the implications of multiple user accounts. I've now read up on it enough to understand that I don't want my application to have any knowledge of another instance of the application running under a different user account.

It's just a matter of finding a more efficient way of doing it than WMI (which by the way, really "gets me" because for 30+ years in the mainframe world, if I needed it, I just wrote it in the time most others would still be discussing it. My expertise was assembler language, but I knew all the mainframe third-generation higher-level languages -- which DID NOT include C, or C+, or C++, or C#!! -- and thanks to AutoIt, I haven't had to learn yet!

Does my thinking here seem reasonable?