Vista and video file problem

Champak

I have to get the file dimension (WxH) of video files (AVI right now). Everything is fine in XP, many different ways of getting the dimension. But once over to Vista, all of that is out the window. You can't even get it from the extended file property UDFs floating around here. So is there any idea of how to get the dimension in both OS? I currently have a very crude way of doing it, but don't like it.

Thanks.

I have to get the file dimension (WxH) of video files (AVI right now). Everything is fine in XP, many different ways of getting the dimension. But once over to Vista, all of that is out the window. You can't even get it from the extended file property UDFs floating around here. So is there any idea of how to get the dimension in both OS? I currently have a very crude way of doing it, but don't like it.

Thanks.

Perhaps if you show your crude way someone could help you improve upon it?

When I say crude, I mean CRUDE, to the point showing code really means nothing because what I want/need would be TOTALLY different from what I have. All I have done (for Vista) was make the container(GUI) an arbitrary WxH, then when the avi is loaded, it activates a resize function for the avi movie and it sizes to the size of the container. This is what I don't want to do, I would rather the movie start out in its own proper size, but that is not possible because I can't get the size of the avi file to set it to the container FIRST. I think I may even be satisfied if I could get the aspect ratio of the movie, but I can't seem to get that in Vista either. I don't understand how explorer can show the size, but I can't retrieve it with extended properties.

Edited by Champak