Recording all user input?

DWad

I've been working on a small program for easier macro-ing, the basics of which saved a co-worker about 3 hours of work. I have it set up so you can manually input your key presses and delays and it works great, but I want another option available; using a 'record' button to record the key presses (and possibly mouse clicks) until a 'stop' hotkey is pressed. I tried to look at macro-gamer's source for an idea, but his script was beyond my (more basic) scripting/programming knowledge. Can anyone exlain to me in detail how something like this would work? I don't want full-blown code to do it for me, I'd like to really be able to understand how to write it myself.

Thanks guys

-DWad

I've been working on a small program for easier macro-ing, the basics of which saved a co-worker about 3 hours of work. I have it set up so you can manually input your key presses and delays and it works great, but I want another option available; using a 'record' button to record the key presses (and possibly mouse clicks) until a 'stop' hotkey is pressed. I tried to look at macro-gamer's source for an idea, but his script was beyond my (more basic) scripting/programming knowledge. Can anyone exlain to me in detail how something like this would work? I don't want full-blown code to do it for me, I'd like to really be able to understand how to write it myself.

Thanks guys

-DWad

it sounds to much like a keylogger. dont expect any assistance at all on making this.

*Click*

Yeah, I figured that's what people would think.

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start to e-mail it to anyone (nor do I have any desire to). Also, I'm not interested (nor would I know how to) hide any of the information; I'd be putting it all into a user-editable ini file.

A bit more info about my script as it stands - Basically for now the user can type in any letters (or the 'send' code for other keys, such as {enter} or {tab}), and easily input delays between keys in seconds (instead of milliseconds). The user doesn't actually have to know any real scripting. If you want to pm me help instead of putting it up for everyone to see that would be fine to.

Thanks again

-DWad

• Developers

There is an autoit3 recorder program written by Larry that records keystrokes and mouseclick and converts those into an AutoIt3 script.

Its available in the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package when you want to have a look.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

There is an autoit3 recorder program written by Larry that records keystrokes and mouseclick and converts those into an AutoIt3 script.

Its available in the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package when you want to have a look.

Jos

Thanks, I'll have a look at that when I get a chance. I'm interested more in learning how to do this on my own though, can anyone help me out in this respect?

Anyone?

A [ ]

If you want to do regular recording, use what you were pointed to.

B [ ]

If you plan to gain the knowledge how to write a real key logger, then pls. ask for that in clear words:

If you choose B [X], this will help immediatly, promised, with...

C [X]

c-l-i-c-k

;)

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

You really don't need to be rude just because my post count is low. Generally I search for information myself and find my own answers, and I leave the question answering to the more knowledgeable people here. I also occasionally troll around the forums here to see if there's anything of interest to me.

I'm working on this script to further my own knowledge/experience with auto-it. If I wanted to create a keylogger, I could probably use Larry's recorder and then go from there, however again, I'm not interested in keylogging. I'm trying to write my own versatile, easy-to-use automation creator, complete with a few innovative ideas, as well using principles of good design which I'm currently learning in my user-centered design class.

So if anyone could help me out with how to capture every key pressed and be able to determine which key it is (the rest I can figure out on my own), that would be extremely helpful. I'd also really like to do this because I've left space in my GUI for it, and I'll have to re-think (and re-script) the layout.

Thanks again for the previous helpful answers. I can understand why many of you automatically suspect it to be a keylogger, but I would really appreciate some confidence and a little help here. Even a point in the right direction would be great.

-DWad

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Seeing that you have 65% of the posts here. And it's obvious no one is going to help you with a keylogger regardless of your intentions. This topic is closed, and please don't start another one on the subject or anything related to it.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.