May sound rediculous... but please

glasglow

$N = 12

Dim $x[$N] = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12]

Dim $y[$N] = [24.91,29.65,29.40,28.90,27.80,25.74,23.76,23.83,26.12,26.86,27.01,25.36]

Right now I am using this. And I would like to instead of writing out the variables, pull the variables out of either a text file or out of a csv file and instead of hardcoding the number of records I'd like to count the number of records as they are pulled out of the text or csv file.

I've tried some csv parsers on here and they don't seem to be giving me what I need, and it seems when I try filereadtoarray it doesn't allow me to use the $x[$N] type variable. Any suggestions?

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

After a few minutes I got this:

$N = 12
Dim $x
_FileReadToArray("x.txt", $x)
;Dim $x[$N] = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12]
Dim $y[$N] = [24.91,29.65,29.40,28.90,27.80,25.74,23.76,23.83,26.12,26.86,27.01,25.36]

However I don't seem to be getting the same results in later calculations.

Edited by glasglow

When you use _Filereadtoarray you just need to have a declared variable it doesn't need to already be an array.

Something like

Local $file
_filereadtoarray('yourfilegoeshere.txt',$file)

Edit: Fixed code tag

Edited by Kerros

Kerros===============================================================How to learn scripting: Figure out enough to be dangerous, then ask for assistance.

It's really strange. If I use:

$N = 7
Dim $x[$N] = [0,2,4,6,8,10,12]
Dim $y[$N] = [2.1,5.0,9,12.6,17.3,21,24.7]

And if I use this:

$N = 7
Local $x
_filereadtoarray('x.txt',$x)
Local $y
_filereadtoarray('y.txt',$y)

Inside file x.txt I have:

And Inside file y.txt I have:

And I get different results. It does look like it is, or should be exactly the same... yes? Does the $x[$N] make it different or is it reading the text file in a different way? I seem to be missing something.

Edited by glasglow

The results are slightly different because of the way that _filereadtoarray is putting the data into the array versus manually filling in the array.

From the Helpfile

Remarks

$aArray[0] will contain the number of records read into the array.

If you ignore the first element, both arrays should be the same as long as the information in the text file is correct.

Kerros===============================================================How to learn scripting: Figure out enough to be dangerous, then ask for assistance.

The results are slightly different because of the way that _filereadtoarray is putting the data into the array versus manually filling in the array.

From the Helpfile

If you ignore the first element, both arrays should be the same as long as the information in the text file is correct.

I see.. very interesting. So when looping through I start with For $i = 1 to $N instead of $i = 0?

Any other way around to "ignore" the first element?

If you really want to get rid of the first element, use _arraydelete($x[0]), but yes, I normally use For $i = 1 to ubound($x)

This one will error when it hits the last value for $i since the UBound($x) will exceed the array dimensions by 1.. would need to be "UBound($x) - 1"

I normally use For $i = 1 to ubound($x)

This is a better solution: You already have the correct dimension size stored in $x[0] for looping

For $i = 1 to $x[0]

Thank you guys for the help. What worked best for me in this case was:

Local $x
_filereadtoarray('x.txt',$x)
Local $y
_filereadtoarray('y.txt',$y)

_arraydelete($x,0)
_arraydelete($y,0)

It completely cleared out the element put into the beginning by the _filereadtoarray

This one will error when it hits the last value for $i since the UBound($x) will exceed the array dimensions by 1.. would need to be "UBound($x) - 1"

Opps, yes that would cause a problem... that's what I get for trying to get a thought out quick.