Yet another media player (with a twist); 'Player'

sshrum

Is there enuff interest in my player project?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does anybody out there care that I have this super-neato, au3 luv'in media player?

• Hellz Ya! I'm gunna code me up a bunch of addons
    • I like the idea and would like to try it and possibly help out
    • I'm just looking for a decent media manager/ player
    • There are too many of these under development here...slag off!
    • Cowboy Neal

I've been mickey'ing around with a WMP object-based media player/manager script for some time (on and off for like a year) after I found a number of issues with the current options out there. Long story short: The player is written in AU3, uses SQLite for data storage, has no direct GUI to speak of (besides a systray icon+user customizable popup menu) and basically just reads/creates playlists and plays media files...but here's the kewl part: whenever a song is playing, player writes the metadata to the registry, making it available to any other script to query. "Why is that important?" you ask...

As of right now, I have +120 addons that I've written in .AU3...some are basic (next, previous, toggle random, volume 50%), some more complex (playlist 5 stars, Current rate 3 stars), even others that you might notice from other palyers (Current artist Google.com) to variations on those features (Current artist YouTube.com, Current artist Thepiratebay.org). I've written a couple of playlist generator addons as well for doing specific field searches as well as fuzzy full text searches (on a database of around 40,000 records, my fuzzy searches take about 2 seconds). Addons can be compiled or left uncompiled in .au3 form (if you have AutoIT installed...the player 'run's the script when clicked...CTRL+clicks shellexecute with 'edit' action giving you the ability to mod the scripts at any time). Another benefit of this is that the addons (exe or au3) files are launched external of the player and therefore do not hamper script runtime. Example: while your sitting on addon query screen, the player doesn't stop because you have a dialog open.

Technically, the player can run any file type that WMP supports (your plugins will vary) but for now excepts .mp3 and .wma files directly, as well as .m3u files. It even takes SQL statements in text files (.sql) for dynamic playlist creation ("Select SourceURL from MetaData where userEffectiverating>=75"). As I'm using the WMP object, the fieldnames match those documented for the WMP database. Ultimately the database can be trimmed to remove fields you don't want (this is not effect the player as I have programmed for this)

I've currently got my player set up to store my statistics to my flash drive so when I play songs on my desktop or laptop, the statistics are centralized (which I love). Ultimately, I'd love to see this take off and have people start writting addons with GUIs and other features (one thing I have in mind to make is a SQL query builder that will read the database and display a WMP-like dynamic playlist generator). I'm currently in the process of cleaning up the catalog script (for initially building the database) but was concerned over whether or not to spend the extra time tailoring it for other users.

If I get enuff interest in it, I'll sit down and fully document the thing.

I'm also looking for code review as well... :-)

So, waddayathink?

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'

• 4 weeks later...

A brief technical write-up (that will be formallized later if enough people are interested) and the code for the main project and 250+ add-ons to-date can be found here:

http://www.shrum.net/code/player

It still needs some "clean" system testing but everything should be there.

Starter archive with folders and files already laid out can be downloaded here:

http://www.shrum.net/code/player/player.zip

FYI: I noticed that when I had the database-catalog add-on recreate my 40,000 record database, that the commit took like 30+ minutes. First time I did this (a while ago) the commit took less than a minute. I set up catalog to build a giant SQL string and them commit that to the database. I did this cuz it was way faster then commiting records one at a time. Not sure if it's my system or not but after that little experiment everything was working as expected.

Any ?'s just post here.

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'