_Service_UDF v4 : Build your own service with autoit code

arcker

Its almost working perfectly for me for my custom AutoIt program "Reboot Manager". Thanks arcker! just 2 things...

• Although the service type is "automatic", it does not start automatically. Once I click start (or use sc) it starts and runs fine.
  • I need to set the service to interact with the desktop.
---- later ----

From the sc help, I figured out the problem with interact...

The service can interact with the desktop, receiving input from users. Interactive services must be run under the LocalSystem account. This type must be used in conjunction with type= own or type= shared (for example, type= interact type= own). Using type= interact by itself will generate an invalid parameter error.

So I had to use BitAnd (110). However, I am still mystified why my Autostart service is not autostarting.

Edited by donald2

--Donald

[*]Although the service type is "automatic", it does not start automatically. Once I click start (or use sc) it starts and runs fine.

You may already know this, but did you restart the computer to see if the service starts? When a service is installed it is not automatically started at the time of installation. Edited by spudw2k
Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF

You may already know this, but did you restart the computer to see if the service starts? When a service is installed it is not automatically started at the time of installation.

Yes, I know. For whatever reason it didn't start at reboot the first time. However, now it is. BUT... I have another problem...

I verified that "Allow service to interact with desktop" is checked, but even though the service is running, the SystemTray icon with its TraySetToolTip text are not appearing. hmmm

Edited by donald2

--Donald

I'm not sure that process under system account can access to systray.

i would say not. That's why software like antivirus need a "gui" that start only under logon session.

-- Arck System _ Soon -- Ideas make everything

"La critique est facile, l'art est difficile"

Projects :

[list] [*]Au3Service : Run your exe as service V3 / Updated 29/07/2013 Get it Here [/list]

I'm not sure that process under system account can access to systray.

i would say not. That's why software like antivirus need a "gui" that start only under logon session.

Thanks, arcker. That makes sense. Except that when I use the services.msc to start it configured to run under the LocalSystem account and to interact with the desktop, I ***do*** see the systemtray icon. I am running XP SP3.

FWIW, even if I set the service to use a local admin account, the SystemTray icon does not appear even after a reboot.

Edited by donald2

--Donald

let me understand well :

you want the icon appeared as fas as the service started before the systray ? that's impossible.

but you see the icon when you run it manually ? it makes sense, because systray is loaded when yo do so .... no ?

Projects :

[list] [*]Au3Service : Run your exe as service V3 / Updated 29/07/2013 Get it Here [/list]

let me understand well :

you want the icon appeared as fas as the service started before the systray ? that's impossible.

but you see the icon when you run it manually ? it makes sense, because systray is loaded when yo do so .... no ?

I was able to amke it work the way I wanted, viz.

• Service starts up and run fine when no user is logged in.
  • GUI stuff (System Tray icon & message, and various dialogs) appear when the user is logged in.
I was able to do this by using conditional statements like

If WinExists("Program Manager") = 1 Then
  GUI stuff here
EndIf

--Donald

I compiled the example, un-commented the msgbox line in the main() function to see if it works when I install it and start it.

So I install the service, I see that it is installed by checking services.msc and then I start it and I get an Error 0 still :)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

I was able to amke it work the way I wanted, viz.

• Service starts up and run fine when no user is logged in.
  • GUI stuff (System Tray icon & message, and various dialogs) appear when the user is logged in.
I was able to do this by using conditional statements like

If WinExists("Program Manager") = 1 Then
  GUI stuff here
EndIf
not bad, but if the service has guy when you are not logged in, the guis will show directly when you have logged in.

no need to recall a winstate or something. They are just hidden until the explorer.exe is launched

so i wonder if it's necessary to do so.

Projects :

not bad, but if the service has guy when you are not logged in, the guis will show directly when you have logged in.

no need to recall a winstate or something. They are just hidden until the explorer.exe is launched

so i wonder if it's necessary to do so.

Somehow putting in that code did make it possible for the service to start without some one logged in, whereas before it would not. However, I did find that the WinExists("Program Manager") code needs to be before _Service_init() otherwise the script hangs.

What I am actually finding is that if the service starts before the user is logged on, there is no icon (and Tray Tool Tip -- which I really want) unless I stop and restart the service. I've tried all kinds of code in the service itself and nothing works. What I finally decided to do was to write a very simple AutoIt3 script to stop and start my service and put that in the HKLM Run.

I was originally launching the program using the registry Run line, but I need it to continue running after the user is logged out. The program reboots the PC after the uptime limit is reached. This is the info displayed in the Tool Tip.

Edited by donald2

--Donald

nope.

plz guys post your code.

I don't have problem since i use a service to install a program silently, but i'm not using cmdline[x]

strange thing.

Projects :

nope.

plz guys post your code.

I don't have problem since i use a service to install a program silently, but i'm not using cmdline[x]

strange thing.

Here is my code, arcker. I would really appreciate any feedback on how to access service commandline parameters. (It seems that $CmdLine does not work for service start parameters .)

#Region;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Version=Beta
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y
#AutoIt3Wrapper_icon=shellarrownup_32.ico
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Stop_OnWarning=y
#EndRegion;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
; From example of using service UDF to make an exe possibly run as a service
; By Arcker
; 10/09/2008
#include <Date.au3>
#include<Service.au3>
$wbemFlagReturnImmediately = 0x10
$wbemFlagForwardOnly = 0x20
$colItems = ""
$sServiceName = "Reboot Manager"
If $cmdline[0] > 0 Then
    Switch $cmdline[1]
        Case "install", "-i", "/i"
            InstallService()
        Case "remove", "-u", "/u", "uninstall"
            RemoveService()
        Case "/?"
            ConsoleWrite(" - - - Help - - - " & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite(" Service params : " & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  -i : install service" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  -u : remove service" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite(" - - - - - - - - " & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite(" Switches: " & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  /UL=10 Uptime Limit in days" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  /NI=60 Notification Interval in minutes" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  /ND=300 Notification message Duration in seconds" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  /EP=00:00 Earliest Possible random reboot in HH:MM" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  /LP=03:00 Latest Possible random reboot in HH:MM" & @crlf)
            ConsoleWrite("  /WT=5 Warning Time before reboot in minutes" & @crlf)
            Exit
      ;start service.
    EndSwitch
EndIf

_Service_init($sServiceName)
Opt ("TrayAutoPause", 0)
Opt ("TrayMenuMode", 1)

main()

Func main()
    $UL = 10
    $NI = 60
    $ND = 300
    $EP = "00:00"
    $LP = "03:00"
    $WT = 5
;   MsgBox(0,"CmdLine Count", $CmdLine[0])
    For $i = 1 to $CmdLine[0]
      $varname = StringMid($CmdLine[$i],2,2)
      $value = StringMid($CmdLine[$i],5)
      Assign($varname,$value)
      Switch $varname
        Case "UL"
          $UL = Eval("UL")
        Case "NI"
          $NI = Eval("NI")
        Case "ND"
          $ND = Eval("ND")
        Case "EP"
          $EP = Eval("EP")
        Case "LP"
          $LP = Eval("LP")
        Case "WT"
          $WT = Eval("WT")
      EndSwitch
;     MsgBox(0,"Commandline", "$Varname: " & $varname & @LF & "$Value: " & Eval($varname))
    Next
    $EP = $EP & ":00"
    $LP = $LP & ":00"
    $Today = @Year & "/" & @Mon & "/" & @MDay
  ;Determine Reboot Window Length in minutes
    $RWL = _DateDiff('n',$Today & " " & $EP,$Today & " " & $LP)
  ;MsgBox(0,"Reboot Window Length", $RWL & " minutes")
  ;Determine Random Reboot Time
    $RRTraw = _DateAdd('n', Random(0,$RWL,1), $Today & " " & $EP)
    Dim $RRTarray
    _DateTimeSplit($RRTraw,$Today,$RRTarray)
    For $i = 1 to 3
      If StringLen($RRTarray[$i]) = 1 Then
        $RRTarray[$i] = "0" & $RRTarray[$i]
      EndIf
    Next
    $RRT = $RRTarray[1] & ":" & $RRTarray[2] & ":" & $RRTarray[3]
  ;MsgBox(0,"Random Reboot Time", $RRT)

;Determine Warning Message Time
    $WMTraw = _DateAdd('n', -$WT, $RRTraw)
    Dim $WMTarray
    _DateTimeSplit($WMTraw,$Today,$WMTarray)
    For $i = 1 to 3
      If StringLen($WMTarray[$i]) = 1 Then
        $WMTarray[$i] = "0" & $WMTarray[$i]
      EndIf
    Next
    $WMT = $WMTarray[1] & ":" & $WMTarray[2] & ":" & $WMTarray[3]
  ;MsgBox(0,"Random Reboot Time", $RRT & @LF & "Warning: " & $WMT)

;Determine Last Bootup Time
    $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:root\CIMV2")
    $colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem", "WQL", $wbemFlagReturnImmediately + $wbemFlagForwardOnly)
    If IsObj($colItems) Then
       For $objItem In $colItems
          $LBT = StringStripWS($objItem.LastBootUpTime,8)
       Next
    Endif
    $sLBT = StringLeft($LBT,4) & "/" & StringMid($LBT,5,2) & "/" & StringMid($LBT,7,2) & " " & StringMid($LBT,9,2) & ":" & StringMid($LBT, 11,2) & ":" & StringMid($LBT,13,2)

$NNT = _NowCalc()
    $Warned = False
    $Notified = False
    While 1
        Opt ("TrayAutoPause", 0)
        Opt ("TrayMenuMode", 1)
        $DaysUp = _DateDiff('d', $sLBT, _NowCalc())
      ;MsgBox(0,"DaysUp",$DaysUp)
        $RebootRequirementText = "This PC has been up for " & $DaysUp & " days. " & _
                "To maintain system security, stability, and performance, PC reboots are required every " & _
                $UL & " days."
      ;MsgBox(0,"Last Bootup Time", $LBT & @LF & $sLBT & @LF & "Days up: " & $DaysUp & @LF & $RebootRequirementText, 10)
        $Today = @Year & "/" & @Mon & "/" & @MDay
        If _DateDiff('s', $Today & " " & $WMT, _NowCalc()) > 0 _
            And _DateDiff('s', $Today & " " & $LP, _NowCalc()) < 0 Then
          $WarnNow = True
        Else
          $WarnNow = False
        EndIf
        If _DateDiff('s', $NNT, _NowCalc()) > 0 Then
          $NotifyAgain = True
        Else
          $NotifyAgain = False
        EndIf
        If _DateDiff('s', $Today & " " & $RRT, _NowCalc()) >= 0 _
            And _DateDiff('s', $Today & " " & $LP, _NowCalc()) <= 0 Then
          $RebootNow = True
        Else
          $RebootNow = False
        EndIf
        $TipText = "Uptime: " & $DaysUp & " days" & @LF & "Limit: " & $UL & " days"
        If $DaysUp >= $UL Then
          $TipText = $TipText & @LF & "Rebooting at " & StringLeft($RRT,5)
          Select
            Case $Notified = False or $NotifyAgain = True
              $NNT = _DateAdd('n', $NI, _NowCalc())
              MsgBox(0,"Scheduled Reboot Notification", $RebootRequirementText & @LF & @LF & "System reboot is scheduled for " & StringLeft($RRT,5), $ND)
              $Notified = True
            Case $WarnNow = True And $Warned = False
              MsgBox(0,"This PC will restart at " & StringLeft($RRT,5), $RebootRequirementText & @LF & @LF & "You have " & $WT & " minutes to save your work before this PC restarts.", $WT * 59)
              $Warned = True
            Case $RebootNow = True
              Shutdown(6)
          EndSelect
        EndIf
        TraySetToolTip ($TipText)
        Sleep(1000)
    WEnd
EndFunc;==>main
Func InstallService()
    ConsoleWrite("Installing service, please wait..." & @CRLF)
    _Service_Create("", $sServiceName, $sServiceName, @ScriptFullPath, "LocalSystem", "", 0x00000110)
    If @error Then
        ConsoleWrite("Problem installing service, Error number is " & @error & @CRLF & " message  : " & _WinAPI_GetLastErrorMessage())
    Else
        ConsoleWrite("Installation of service successful")
    EndIf
    Exit
EndFunc;==>InstallService
Func RemoveService()
    _StopService("", $sServiceName)
    _DeleteService("", $sServiceName)
    if not @error then ConsoleWrite("service removed successfully" & @crlf)
    Exit
EndFunc;==>RemoveService
Edited by donald2

--Donald

I'm not sure if the SCM supports commandline params.

I tried appending a commandline param to my test service binpath but it fails to start.

sc config "AutoIt_Service_Test" binpath= "\"c:\Documents and Settings\profile\Desktop\testsvc.exe\" -s"

fails to start

sc config "AutoIt_Service_Test" binpath= "c:\Documents and Settings\profile\Desktop\testsvc.exe"

reset and works fine

Edited by spudw2k
Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF

scm supports parameters.

but autoit maybe don't handle when launched by scm

look all of the services that uses svchost.exe

example :

Audio Windows.

Projects :

I'm not sure if the SCM supports commandline params.

I tried appending a commandline param to my test service binpath but it fails to start.

sc config "AutoIt_Service_Test" binpath= "\"c:\Documents and Settings\profile\Desktop\testsvc.exe\" -s"

fails to start

sc config "AutoIt_Service_Test" binpath= "c:\Documents and Settings\profile\Desktop\testsvc.exe"

reset and works fine

For now I am editing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Reboot Manager\ImagePath value to add my switches as needed. It works.

--Donald

So it does. :) I had a thought that maybe spaces in the path would be the prob, but still get the result even when run from a path with no spaces in it.

Edited by spudw2k
Spoiler