PortableFolders

YellowLab

For some reason, I like PortableApps. Yes, there are faster USB Drive menus and some have more features. But I thnik I am taken because it was my first - *looks dreamily*.

Anyway, one functionality that is missing is the ability to group applications into folders. So, I have added this functionality into PortableApps.

post-34148-1221151137_thumb.jpg

In this picture you can see the "Graphics" folder listed. Clicking on it will open the folder:

post-34148-1221151177_thumb.jpg

The folders can be configured with the configuration utility:

post-34148-1221151205_thumb.jpg

Some features:

* Dynamic folder list

* Ability to add any type of file to the folder, not just exe's

* Ability to link to any file anywhere - not restricted to the PortableApps directory, nor even to the portable drive itself.

* Can add command line parameters to the file

You can download the program (and source) here:

App and Source - Updated 10-08-08

Install in your PortableApps directory as you would any portable apps application. Update App Icons and run the config utility. A background image file and config.pfc (SQLite database) file will install on first run of the config utility. Adding files will install an exe file with the same name as the folder. This exe will show up in the PortableApps menu after the App Icons have been refreshed. If SQLite is not available on the computer the SQLite3.dll will extract to the script directory.

If you are only interested in the source, it can be downloaded here:

Source Only - Updated 10-08-08

The configuration.au3 file will need lines 64, 70, 73, 216, and 236 modified with the actual location of the resources. These are FileInstall calls with *LOCATION OF FILE 'resource name'* to be replaced with actual locations prior to compiling.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by YellowLab

You can't see a rainbow without first experiencing the rain.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know how many people are using this other than the couple who posted :P , but I have updated the files to version 0.6.

The application and source can be downloaded here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/66167106/c52f6...bleFolders.html

The source only can be found here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/66167076/8bac9386/Sourcev06.html

Fixes include the following:

* Fixed Issue with Null Command Line Parameters

* Fixed Issue with the wrong Working Directory being used

* Added File Checking for files to ensure they exist

* Added some hot keys

* Added an update routine when a new version is installed

Bob

This is a great idea :P

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me :idea: I'm using Vista, not sure about XP.

When i open up the config screen it says no folders defined, so i create a new one, the list is then blank (no folders to select either), I add a new file (via menu), again the list and folders are still blank. I close the config screen, refresh my icons and the folder is in the portable apps menu, but when i click on it I get this error

Line -1:

Error: Array variable subscript badly formatted.

And then nothing happens.

Using the version posted today as I only just found this :(

@psikoh

I don't know about Vista - it shouldn't be an issue. When you open up the config program, the blanks as you describe are correct. First you create a new folder and then add files. They should show up in the list. They can be added through the menu (File - Add File) or drag and drop onto the box. The error you are getting is because there are no files to show. I will correct this so at least no error is shown.

For some reason they are not ending up in the database. You can try dragging and dropping into the box and see if the files are listed. I am not getting the issue with adding the files through the menu nor dragging and dropping on an XP system.

Let me know.

Bob

• 1 month later...