Search directory for newest file

TonyP

I have been scouring the forums looking for a script that just might do what I want, but I haven't found anything. The situation is this, I have about 14 directories that get daily updates to them and I'm trying to make a script to look inside the folder, find the newest file and then check that file against the current date. If that file is more than 1 day old then shoot off a email... I'm not concerned with the email part, yet... And I figured out how to do the date check, so I was wondering if someone could help me with searching the directories for the newest file...

Here's what I have so far:

#include<date.au3>
$file = "c:\bug.txt"
$fdate = FileGetTime($file,1)
$cdate=$fdate[0]  & "/" & $fdate[1] & "/" & $fdate[2]
$ndate=_NowCalcDate()
$datediff = String(_DateDiff ('d',$cdate,$nDate))

If $datediff > 0 then
MsgBox(0, "Creation date of " & $file, $datediff)
Else
Exit
EndIf

Take a look at the samples for FileFindFirstFile and FileFindNextFile in the help file..:)

Try this...

#include <Date.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>

$FolderList = _ArrayCreate("C:\temp123\1", "C:\temp123\2", "C:\temp123\3", "C:\temp123\4", "C:\temp123\5");<----Substitute these with your folders

For $Fdlr = 0 to 4; <----Number of entries above minus 1
    EvaluateFiles($FolderList[$Fdlr])
Next

Func EvaluateFiles($Folder)
    $avFiles = _FileListToArray($Folder & "\", "*",1)
    If @Error<>0 Then
        Return
    EndIf

$iNewestTime = 11111111111111; YYYYMMDDhhmmss
    $iNewestIndex = 0; Array index of newest file
; Find the newest file
    For $p = 1 To $avFiles[0]
        $iFileTime2 = Number(FileGetTime($Folder & "\" & $avFiles[$p], 0, 1))
        If $iFileTime2 > $iNewestTime Then
            $iNewestTime = $iFileTime2
            $iNewestIndex = $p
        EndIf
    Next

If $iNewestIndex > 0 Then
        $t = FileGetTime($Folder & "\" & $avFiles[$iNewestIndex])
        $iDateCalc = _DateDiff( 'd',$t[0] & "/" & $t[1] & "/" & $t[2] & " " & $t[3] & ":" & $t[4] & ":" & $t[5],_NowCalc())
        If $iDateCalc > 0 Then;<---Flags files that are older than today
            MsgBox(16,"ATTENTION","This files in - " & $Folder & " - have not been updated today." & @CRLF & @CRLF & $avFiles[$iNewestIndex] & " is the newest file with a modified date of" & @CRLF & @CRLF & $t[1] & "/" & $t[2] & "/" & $t[0] & " " & $t[3] & ":" & $t[4] & ":" & $t[5])
        ;PUT YOUR CODE FOR EMAILING HERE.  USE $avFiles[$iNewestIndex] TO REFERENCE THE FILE NAME IF YOU NEED TO
        EndIf
    Else
        MsgBox(16, "Error", "Failed to find a newest file.")
    EndIf

EndFunc

Wow, Erik that is awesome, did you write that just now? It looks like it'll work for what I need. Thanks!

Uten: Thanks for replying but I must say that your post isn't very helpful. I had looked at that function but it didn't help because if you'll notice the keyword in my post was "searching the directories for the newest file." I know how to search for files, it was finding the newest one that was my problem.

Edited by xenon2050

Wow, Erik that is awesome, did you write that just now? It looks like it'll work for what I need. Thanks!

Uten: Thanks for replying but I must say that your post isn't very helpful. I had looked at that function but it didn't help because if you'll notice the keyword in my post was "searching for the newest file." I know how to search for files, it was finding the newest one that was my problem.

I used a snippet of code that I used before and wrote the rest just now...

Sorry, did not realize you wanted someone to do the work for you. Your code indicated that you know how to compare the file dates. Nothing indicated that you knew how to use the File* functions.

Sorry, did not realize you wanted someone to do the work for you. Your code indicated that you know how to compare the file dates. Nothing indicated that you knew how to use the File* functions.

Well I didn't ask for someone to do the work for me, that was a unexpected surprise. I expected to get a piece of code someone had used in something else to search for a file, or some mention of a UDF that did what I was looking for.

Yes I figured out how to compare dates, and I probably should have specified that I had looked at the File functions.

• 3 months later...