Scite and Wine

maqleod

I've been running scripts under wine for a while, but I have been writing/testing/compiling everything in XP and just saving to a shared partition for use if I am in linux (opensuse 11). I wanted to be able to do all that in linux too, so I could easily just write some scripts specifically for linux, however, after installing autoit and scite4autoit, I get run errors when testing scripts that worked fine under windows.

For example, the global variable $ws_ex_acceptfiles is reported as being undeclared, also, Opt("RunErrorsFatal", 0) comes back as having illegal arguments.

Has anyone else tried to do this? Any ideas on why I would get problems with those particular issues and not on other opt() statements or global variables? (such as Opt("GUICoordMode",1) or $GUI_CHECKED)

[u]You can download my projects at:[/u] Pulsar Software

AutoIt isn't made for Linux. If you are using it on Linux, you are using it in a manner inconsistent with its design. This is not a bug of any type.

As for why commands like that are failing, I couldn't even begin to tell you.

I know it isn't designed for linux, it is designed for the Windows API, and wine is an attempt at a copy of that API for use on linux. It might be unorthodox, but its a perfectly reasonable question to ask if anyone has had a similar experience (because I know for a fact others use Autoit with linux already). I wasn't reporting it as a bug, I was just trying to gather information so that I could address and possibly fix the issues that I'm seeing.

Let's see the #include statements. In the newest version of autoit you need things like GUIConstants.au3, GUIConstantsEx.au3, StaticConstants.au3, GUIEdit.au3, WindowsConstants.au3, etc.

Let's see the #include statements. In the newest version of autoit you need things like GUIConstants.au3, GUIConstantsEx.au3, StaticConstants.au3, GUIEdit.au3, WindowsConstants.au3, etc.

checked all the includes, all are in the right folder, some scite sees, some scite doesn't, I don't know why that is quite yet. GuiConstants.au3, GuiFile.au3 it sees just fine, but GuiListView.au3 it doesn't recognize functions from.

didn't try GuiConstantsEx.au3 or StaticConstants.au3 at all....never have used those in windows, even with the new version though. I'll see what they contain to see if it will be useful.

Just make sure you're using the proper includes. When I upgraded a perfectly working script didn't work anymore because the functions weren't in the same includes. If things work perfectly on xp and all you're doing is opening the script in linux then it might be that wine doesn't have the needed files emulated. Isn't wine like a win95/win98 copy?

ok, so you are probably right on a few of the items as being a constants issue. Some of the constants that might be understood in windows (IE WindowsConstants.au3) need to be directly declared in wine, and that fixes some problems, but not all. I'm going to look at cases very closely because linux is much more picky about that sort of thing than windows.

ok, so you are probably right on a few of the items as being a constants issue. Some of the constants that might be understood in windows (IE WindowsConstants.au3) need to be directly declared in wine, and that fixes some problems, but not all. I'm going to look at cases very closely because linux is much more picky about that sort of thing than windows.

I had wine running prefectly wiht scite under KDE in Kubuntu...

Try running the scite executable directly from the filepath?

tolle indicium

nope, SciTE even thinks it is in XP SP2 when it runs on wine.

Ok I haven't gotten to install my OpenSuse yet so I've mostly been running Knoppix for linux and the wine there is a win98 (pretty sure about that) at least at the core (could just be using an old copy XD). Also linux is open-source so it's designed for people who already know a fair amount about computers anyway so it's not going to have that "idiot-proofing" (more like idiot-inducing) programming that windows does since it's not really necessary.

I had it running for well over 6 months fine under KDE with a Slax-based distro.

What distribution are you running? What version of Wine, etc? When running it from the terminal, does Wine report any error messages out of the norm?

Running KDE 4 on opensuse 11 using wine 0.9.64, not running it from the command line, just set it to run with any .exe files automatically, so not sure what sort of errors wine might be returning. I think I got most of it figured out with the includes for the constants, still don't know why I'm getting errors with opt(), but it probably has to do with includes as well. I'm not entirely sure why I have to specify more includes with wine than I have to do natively in windows, but it seems to be working.