AutoIT support for WPF and .NET 3.5 applications

sudarkrao

Hi,

Any one knows about AutoIT support for .NET 3.5 applications and WPF on windows based applications

Please help me

Regards,

Rama

If controls/windows in the application respond to native window messages, then you may be in luck. However, if I was working solely on WPF apps - and depending on the kind of automation you want to accomplish - I'd seriously consider using the UIAutomation classes in .NET first.

Just my 2 cents.

Zach...

If controls/windows in the application respond to native window messages, then you may be in luck. However, if I was working solely on WPF apps - and depending on the kind of automation you want to accomplish - I'd seriously consider using the UIAutomation classes in .NET first.

Just my 2 cents.

Zach...

Hello,

Thanks for your valuable information

Can you please look this

If AutoIT window info tool is not able to get any of the properties from .NET application which is completely developed using WPFs, then how we can get the controls of the application ? In AutoIT window info tool ,control section is blank and window tab is showing the title and class name which is changing dyanamically each time we open the application

Awaiting for your response

Regards,

Rama

Hello,

Thanks for your valuable information

Can you please look this

If AutoIT window info tool is not able to get any of the properties from .NET application which is completely developed using WPFs, then how we can get the controls of the application ? In AutoIT window info tool ,control section is blank and window tab is showing the title and class name which is changing dyanamically each time we open the application

Awaiting for your response

Regards,

Rama

Rama,

It depends on which technology you will use to drive the automation.

Recent versions of the Windows Platform SDK come with a UiSpy that reveals information about controls on a WinForm ( and Win32 forms for that matter as it is bridging Active Accessibility ). If your automation will be using the UiAutomation namespace in .NET 3.x, then use UiSpy for discovery and begin posting your queries in the appropriate UIAutomation forum here.

If you wish to continue to use AutoIt as a means to drive your automation, then Ranorex also provides a free GUI Spy that will reveal controls that respond to WM_GETCONTROLNAME ( and thus reveal their design-time ID ). Both the UiSpy and Ranorex spy will reveal roughly the same info that is pertinent to control IDs and their physical properties ( ie, X/Y/W/H coordinates ). Once you've obtained the control name, then you can use this AutoIt script to obtain a handle and attempt your automation. Your mileage WILL vary as I'm sure not all WPF controls respond to every native message ( perhaps they do, this is untested for me ).

Good Luck!

Zach Fisher...

Edited by zfisherdrums

• 1 month later...

As this was one of the threads that I found when looking to embed AutoIt into a C# project that I was creating - I wanted to reply here and share the code that I've written that creates a C# AutoItHelper library class -- and has a example project that references said library, with a NotePad example call.

You can find the code and a brief intro on my blog at:

http://www.lancelarsen.com/Blog/tabid/72/E...er-Library.aspx

Regards...

...Lance Larsen

www.lancelarsen.com

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I am more interested is: do we have any plan (at least for near future) to enrich autoIT functinalities, s.t it can support WPF applications as well? I think this is very important, as once WPF becomes the mainstream (since this is proposed by microsoft, I guess it

will get popular. --- at least more appls will be in this technology), lack of support will dramatically reduce the chance of autoIT to be keep popular...

So I strongly hope, autoIT talent team will think about this direction...

thx a lot

Edited by hobli

• 5 months later...