Mail Client

Smitro

I'm looking for some information... I'd like to make a mail client that can be used as the default mail client.

Basicly the scope of my project is that I'd like my users to be able to be able to click on "Mailto:" links in Internet explorer and for it to open up a browser window at a set address, this will be a compose window for them to send there email.

My question is, how do I get the first step of this working to have it as an option to be a default mail client. Then the next step would be how do I make the "To" address into a variable that I can use.

thanks in advance

AzKay,

Do you have more where that came from? It seems that this is not the ultimate fix for everyone. I compiled my program and got it working on my computer I then went to another computer, changed the exact same setting (using the same script) and it didn't work. On looking into it further it seems like there is something in the registry around here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail But, I can't seem to find any more information on it. Any ideas on where to look?

AzKay,

Do you have more where that came from? It seems that this is not the ultimate fix for everyone. I compiled my program and got it working on my computer I then went to another computer, changed the exact same setting (using the same script) and it didn't work. On looking into it further it seems like there is something in the registry around here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail But, I can't seem to find any more information on it. Any ideas on where to look?

I use this code to read registry for the default Email Client

Const $DefaultClient = "outlook" ;Required Email Client

Const $EmailClient = StringRight(RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLIENTS\MAIL", ""), 7) ;Default Mail Client

If $DefaultClient <> $EmailClient then

Msgbox(0,"Test",Default Email Client for this System IS " & $EmailClient",5)

EndIf

Exit

This system check works in both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista SP2. You may find that the default email client string is stored differently Vista compared with Windows XP that is why I strip the value back to "outlook" using StringRight. Cheers Ant..

Edited by anixon

@Simtro

-> Mailto: will trigger most of the times a local Email CLIENT software like Outlook (or Express).

But that is not what you want if I read your request.

You want to open a browser page that contains a Email form, correct ?

So you are on ther wrong track here using mailto:

You should be using the IE.AU3 UDF to jump to the HTML page that contains the Email form.

Regards

ptrex