System Deployment script

skewltek

I create the images for a very large (over 150 sites) school district. We're still using XP, so I am now just making one image for office 2007 and one for office 2003 because I put this script on the image and set it to run with RunOnceEX.

Instead of having a bunch of check-boxes, this script uses a bunch of ini files and a SQLite database to allow the technician of any site to totally customize deployment. Here's a rundown of what it does:

1) Renews the IP address and checks for a connection (If no connection will use internal config files)

2) Checks to see if there is a new version of the wizard available for download and runs it.

3) Compares the IP address of the computer with a database of IPs in a hosted SQL table. (Gathers location code, name, territory, grade level, and config file location)

4) Checks config file for location to see what profiles are available

5) Displays GUI with available profiles.

After you confirm the info in the UI and click OK, the script:

1) Installs the software in the profiles software ini file.

2) Sets up printers from the profiles printer ini file.

3) Adds or removes registry entries according to profiles registry ini file.

4) Sets up accounts according to the profiles account ini file.

5) Creates shortcuts according to the profiles shortcut ini file.

6) Extracts files in the directory that the systemfiles argument points to.

7) Sets default desktop background.

8) Sets default homepage.

9) Schedules defrag, checkdisk and pagefile defrag tasks.

10) Sets default BIOS values and locks the BIOS with the setup password. (Uses Dell OMCI)

11) Changes the screen resolution.

12) Joins the domain or workgroup.

13) Closes the log and optionally emails a copy of it.

14) Updates the BIOS.

15) Reboots the computer.

I'm attaching the script along with some support and sample files and a little documentation.

SetupWizard.zip

• 4 years later...

Hello,

very interesting, thanks for the share.

Question, it's possible to upgrade and or modfify the bios for another manufacturer?

What is the goal of "PermissionGranted.exe"? It's possible to have the source code?

Edited by ricky03

What is the goal of "PermissionGranted.exe"? It's possible to have the source code?

If I remember correctly, that was part of the teacher profile on a student, non-domain, PC. Because we couldn't use AD to push out policies to lock down the workgroup machines I packaged up all the registry hacks that kept the students from poking around into the ini, but there was one thing I had to pack into an EXE, which was Desklock.exe. I can't remember what it did, though :ermm:  but I know that PermissionGranted was loaded into the teacher profile to override that lock. Regardless, that is all part of the sample profile and not critical to the actual setup script.

Question, it's possible to upgrade and or modfify the bios for another manufacturer?

I made use of my >OMCI functions to accomplish this. I imagine that most other manufactures have some enterprise deployment strategy that you can use as a replacement.