C++ interprocess communication, and passing window handle?

JRowe

I was wondering if I could get a little help here: I'm writing a plugin for firefox, and instead of doing things the hard way, wanted to take a shortcut: I want to have the plugin grab the window handle for the window in which its created, the relevant information from the browser, launch the external application, and then pass off the data.

If this is too vague, I apologize. I'm just now chasing down the potential of the idea (launching external app and passing off the windows handle, then rendering to that window.)

Yup, kinda a doofus question on my part. I'm chasing down stuff that's probably a little beyond my experience (obviously) but I'm learning and enjoying the heck out of it, so... yeah :)

I now know how to create a firefox plugin, at least, and the rest will just take more learning and time. I find it's easier for me to learn when I'm doing, though, instead of rehashing the same ol "hello world" crap over and over.

I see where you are coming from. I rather learn by doing than following tutorials or reading books about it, although that becomes more important when your skills get better.

Anyway, I am going to start on a new project which requires communication and passing of variables between a C program and a C# program. If I don't find a better solution soon, I am also going to use standard streams for this.

I think the funny thing is the fact that I could easily have done a TCP server/client setup, because of a previous project I've done with AutoIt and C++. I think I'll be using execute paramaters, though, and then just have the application gather data from firefox as needed, without the plugin doing much else than launching.

I did some ipc stuff on win32 using boost's interprocess library. check it out at: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/doc/h...terprocess.html.

It's abstractions (storing containers in shared memory, synchronized queues, mutexes, condition variables, auto-locks) which are portable (you can check out for which compilers and platforms) and mostly intuitive made my life a whole lot simpler. It's an amazing piece of work (along with some of the other libraries such as the MPL, threads just to name a few.)

In fact if you're doing c++ development, and aren't using boost, you're prolly re-inventing the proverbial wheel more than you think :)

peace,

Faisal Vali