Mapping drives during Win XP Login

Andy007

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has come up before, I did try to search what I needed, to no avail.

Here is my script - I am trying to map some drives during my logging in process into XP Pro, and have put this in my Programs > Startup folder, but sometimes it maps successfully and sometimes it does not. I think the networking bits have not been completely started when my program tries to execute.

Any help will be greatly appreciated (as well as any programming hints).

Regards,

Andy.

my_map.au3

Edited by Andy007

Regards,Andy (no, the other one)

Hi,

you should have a look at the swich command which may avoid those if then else .... stuff :)

Back to topic. Maybe you can add a loop around the mapping and check for the return value until success or e.g. time limit reached.

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Back to topic. Maybe you can add a loop around the mapping and check for the return value until success or e.g. time limit reached.

Mega

Thanks for the reply Mega.

I will try that. I was hoping that someone might know whether or not a certain service or process has to be started before any networking commands can be run.

I was hoping that someone might know whether or not a certain service or process has to be started before any networking commands can be run.

I run compiled AutoIt scripts as logon scripts on my company's domain. The logon scripts run long before any programs in the Startup folder run and I map network drives in the logon scripts. The server where the scripts are hosted is Server 2003 and all of the workstations are Windows XP. Hopefully this answers your question.

I run compiled AutoIt scripts as logon scripts on my company's domain. The logon scripts run long before any programs in the Startup folder run and I map network drives in the logon scripts. The server where the scripts are hosted is Server 2003 and all of the workstations are Windows XP. Hopefully this answers your question.

Hi Gestalt,

Thanks for the input, this has not really answered my question but it has certainly helped me think a little more.

I do not login to a domain and I have just remembered that I am using an XP PowerTool that allows me to automatically login to Win XP into my account on boot up.

So that probably means that my programs in my Startup folder are being run very early in the boot up process.

I will have to put some sort of delay loop in my startup mapping program.

Hi Gestalt,

Thanks for the input, this has not really answered my question but it has certainly helped me think a little more.

I do not login to a domain and I have just remembered that I am using an XP PowerTool that allows me to automatically login to Win XP into my account on boot up.

So that probably means that my programs in my Startup folder are being run very early in the boot up process.

I will have to put some sort of delay loop in my startup mapping program.

@Andy0007

You may want to consider adding your script as a scheduled task that runs at system logon.

I have for years used batch files that map drives letters that way, and they have never failed to execute properly.

Your probably being affected by Fast Logon Optimization "Feature" with XP. It's done by loading apps (including running scripts) before the network drivers load. It gives the appearance that XP is fast. You can disable this "feature", this article explains in more detail http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Edited by Legacy99

If you are using TweakUI Autologon feature you should not that the password is stored in the registry. You may want to run "control userpasswords2" and select that users do no have to "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to log onto the machine and select your account as the account in which to login.

Your probably being affected by Fast Logon Optimization "Feature" with XP. It's done by loading apps (including running scripts) before the network drivers load. It gives the appearance that XP is fast. You can disable this "feature", this article explains in more detail http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293

Hi Legacy99,

Initial tests after activating that feature seem to work.

Hi ResNullius,

I did try that awhile ago with no joy. I also tried setting the mappings up as services, no luck for me there either.

Thank you both.