Installing SciTE from zip

My firewall at work was have some objections to the SciTE installer in .exe format. I've grabbed the .zip file instead, but I was hoping it had some install instructions inside but I have not been able to find any yet. I'm betting that its a simple matter of extracting the files into a subdirectory of the Autoit3 folder and changing a file association for .au3 files, but I'd like some confirmation from someone who is more familiar with it than I am.

Can someone hook me up with the install folder name and if I'm on the right track or not?

-Spook

Edited by SpookMeister

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]

• Developers

What is the issue with downloading the Full version?

You could try this direct link to it: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/...iTE4AutoIt3.exe

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

The corporate firewall's built-in virus protection detects a keylogger in it.

I am well aware that there is no such thing happening here, that it is just a matter of them needing to get an update for the antivirus package. I've let them know, but it will probably take a day or two for them to implement the fix. In the mean time, I'd like to get SciTE installed on my new work desktop.

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]

• Developers

The corporate firewall's built-in virus protection detects a keylogger in it.

I am well aware that there is no such thing happening here, that it is just a matter of them needing to get an update for the antivirus package. I've let them know, but it will probably take a day or two for them to implement the fix. In the mean time, I'd like to get SciTE installed on my new work desktop.

Ok, these steps should make it work too:

1. Just copy the content of the ZIP file to: c:\program files\AutoIt3\SciTe

2. Run UpdateDefs to set some variables to their correct value

3. Run SciTEConfig to set the proper settings for double click.

Think this should be it.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Looks like it worked well enough...

only issue I see is that when I run it I get this "error" in the output pane:

Need to change au3.properties: BETA_AUTOIT = 0

I checked the au3.properties file in C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\properties and could not find a BETA_AUTOIT entry. Does this mean I should add it?

• Developers

Looks like it worked well enough...

only issue I see is that when I run it I get this "error" in the output pane:

Need to change au3.properties: BETA_AUTOIT = 0

I checked the au3.properties file in C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\properties and could not find a BETA_AUTOIT entry. Does this mean I should add it?

The parameter is there on line 33.... right ?

It should only tell you this one time since its a LUA script that runs at startup checking if Beta is loaded or not.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

hmmm... nope. I could not find the word "BETA" anywhere in the file. I also did a search of the entire SciTE directory for any other au3.properties files, found 2 others and neither of them had "BETA" anywhere in them. The error shows up every time I open the program.

[edit for clarification] The error only shows up when initially starting SciTE.exe, and everything appears to work fine once I begin working on something.

Edited by SpookMeister

• Developers

hmmm... nope. I could not find the word "BETA" anywhere in the file. I also did a search of the entire SciTE directory for any other au3.properties files, found 2 others and neither of them had "BETA" anywhere in them. The error shows up every time I open the program.

[edit for clarification] The error only shows up when initially starting SciTE.exe, and everything appears to work fine once I begin working on something.

I have downloaded the current ZIP version and double checked the au3.properties file content and it does contain this line on line 33:

BETA_AUTOIT=1

When this message is everytime given at startup it means it cannot update au3.properties.

Try chaning this line in au3.properties:

autoit3dir=C:\Program Files\AutoIt3

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Weird. The zip file was indeed as you described it. From some testing, I found that when I run UpdateDefs it gets rid of that setting.

• Developers

Weird. The zip file was indeed as you described it. From some testing, I found that when I run UpdateDefs it gets rid of that setting.

mmm.. thats strange... :)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.