Office XP Pro Registry Key

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to shut off the MS Office Assistant via a registry key? I've searched the registry myself and can't find the location.... I've found where the "hidden count" and other information is at:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Assistant]

But I can't find what's been changed when it's been told to hide or not even use the darn thing.

I've even tried Google but no luck there either.

I have a script that breaks if the paperclip (or whatever) is open because it intercepts the standard windows prompts and question boxes.

Edited by Blue_Drache

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

Or just right click the assistant, -> hide. But maybe that's too complicated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you should go crawl in a hole and think up something intelligent to say for once. Your half answers and asinine comments only you understand have gotten quite old. Right clicking the icon isn't very reliable or elegant. Having at least a small clue, you would realize this and either answer the original question or not say anything at all (Preferable).

Sorry, Blue_Drache, not trying to hijack your thread, just tired of this moron. I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question. Have you tried using something like RegShot to take snapshots of the registry before and after the changes? Search the Chat forum for "RegShot" and you should find a thread which has a link to it.

*sigh* You speak a lot for someone whom does not know the relevance of the topic which he assumes superiority over. I as you probably know, am a poor windows user if a windows user at all. By sharing what little info I do possess that relates to the topic in question, would possibly make things easier on the afformentioned Drache character. I feel the need to express the simplicity and little relevance of removing an office assistant who servers very little to no purpose for a user. In the future I would appreciate it if your comments were sent to /dev/null because I am tired of browsing over your sad flames which are not properly written and show your ineptitude of the current situation.

-I am the giver of life and the bringer of death.

Or just right click the assistant, -> hide. But maybe that's too complicated.

@Black (I refuse to use your "1337" name)

Why code extra steps when they're not required?

Sorry, Blue_Drache, not trying to hijack your thread, just tired of this moron.  I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question.  Have you tried using something like RegShot to take snapshots of the registry before and after the changes?  Search the Chat forum for "RegShot" and you should find a thread which has a link to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@Valik

No apology required, I would have ignored it anyway. It's funny how one usually gets an RTFM response to a non-RTFM question. The registry is usually the best way to tinker with stuff because the assistant will varies in size, and location as well as screen resolution. I don't feel like doing complicated math and dealing with control clicks.

Have a look at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Assistant

the entries "AsstState" and "CurrAsstState" change if you enable or disable the assistent. With my officexp enable is 15 hex and disable is 26 hex.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@HighGuy

Thanks. That worked.

Here's the code if anyone's interested:

; Kill the Office Assistant!!!
$blah = RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Assistant","AsstState")
$killassist = Hex(38,8)
If not $blah = $killassist Then
$restoreAssit = Dec($blah)
$restoreAssit = Hex($restoreAssit,8)
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Assistant","AsstState","REG_DWORD",$killassist)
$office = 1
EndIf
;
;
; rest of code here
;
;
; then restore the assistant to the prior settings at the end of the program.
If $office = 1 Then
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\Assistant","AsstState","REG_DWORD",$restoreAssist)
EndIf
Edited by Blue_Drache

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache