Remote Desktop Connection - Controlling the remote window

Hello all,

I am writing a script in which I have to connect remotely to a server and I have to open some scripts residing on that server. Basically, to open Remote Desktop is easy and I know how to do that with the Run command (Run(mstsc.exe)). I can also login to the server without any problems by using Send commands.

After logging in, I don't know how to control the window and open programs from the Start Menu on the remote location.

Is there any way to do so and if there can someone please guide me to the right place?

Thanks.

the123punch

You just need to run some scripts? Why don't you use task scheduler?

Hello all,

I am writing a script in which I have to connect remotely to a server and I have to open some scripts residing on that server. Basically, to open Remote Desktop is easy and I know how to do that with the Run command (Run(mstsc.exe)). I can also login to the server without any problems by using Send commands.

After logging in, I don't know how to control the window and open programs from the Start Menu on the remote location.

Is there any way to do so and if there can someone please guide me to the right place?

Thanks.

the123punch

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, got caught up with other jobs in the meantime.

Task Scheduler?? You mean on the remote server? To be honest, I don't have scripts that are run on a periodic basis to run task scheduler on the remote location, and I also have never worked with that anyways so if you do have an example to show I would gladly appreciate.

My problem is basically that I need to control the remote computer from the remote desktop connection that I open using mstsc.exe.

Thanks.

You just need to run some scripts? Why don't you use task scheduler?

Hi Zedna,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out that library and I tried it. It is nice and works fine on a regular desktop, but I haven't been able to make it work on a Remote Desktop. Also, since there is always the possibility that we change to VISTA or any other program, I would rather go with something a bit more universal.

I think that in my case, getting to open the Windows Explorer window would be enough and I can figure the rest out by using SendKeys.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Opening a WinExplorer window on a remote desktop?

Thanks.

the123punch

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 'the123Punch'...

Have you found a solution for your problem? If yes, can you share it with me?

Hi Amruta,

Yes I have. I was trying to find a way to open an application on the remote server and to do some actions on it.

Since sending text is easier and more reliable, I looked out for that option and found that I can set the remote desktop connection settings with an .RDP file and therefore I opened the command prompt on the remote desktop when connecting to it with the RDP file.

Once connected to the remote computer, I can open as many applications as I want using the command prompt that is opened automatically and thus it solved my problem.

You can go about and try doing that too, if you need any help regarding setting up your .RDP file, let me know.

Cheers,

the123punch

Once connected to the remote computer, I can open as many applications as I want using the command prompt that is opened automatically and thus it solved my problem.

You can go about and try doing that too, if you need any help regarding setting up your .RDP file, let me know.

Hi the123Punch,

I suffer dearly from the same problem.

1. Can you help with the RDP file? I tried running RDP /console but that didn't work.

2. Once in command prompt and running the scripts, can you disconnect RDP or do you have to leave it connected?

Thx!