GUICtrlCreateAvi compiles but sometimes fails in execution

Sycamore

.bik to .avi file conversion played find in windows xp, but...

So far, I haven't been able to track this down.

When I tried to create an Avi control for my gui in AutoIt, my script failed.

Here is a sample of the code:

GUICtrlCreateAvi("C:\Documents and Settings\ScriptWork\OblivionOutro.avi", -1, 272, -1, 128, 72, $ACS_AUTOPLAY)

The error msg was:

SkyCycle.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\Documents and Settings\ScriptWork\OblivionOutro.avi is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

The avi plays fine when I run it from autoit using a shellexecute - and it plays fine in windows media player too. I'm just wondering if you've heard of this before - I mean, you might have one of those 25 words or less miracle fixes.

It's also doing it with a sample file from microsoft support.

When I used the clock.avi that was in the windows folder with the GUICtrlCreateAvi, it worked.

I've been trying to get this working for 6 hours now, and it's almost 9am. I think I need some help...and a cup of coffee.

Either there is a bug in AutoIt or there are some things I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about. Perhaps something to do with codecs or .net - I don't know. I've read everything, searched everywhere, and as far as I can tell, nothing is amiss - yet the .avi file will not play using GUICtrlCreateAvi - except for the the clock.avi. Now I will say the two .avi files that didn't work were over 1 MB. I'm just too ignorant of the inner workings of this thing - plus the message lacks the detail I need to pin anything down - and I haven't been able to locate any clues in the help facility, the forums, google, or even between my eyes and my fingers.

I love AutoIt. Why is she doing this to me?

GUICtrlCreateAvi() is very basic, it can only play the most basic (or perhaps only raw?) codecs, you should embed wmp, use mci or whatever. Check some of the videoplayers in the example scripts forum.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

GUICtrlCreateAvi() is very basic, it can only play the most basic (or perhaps only raw?) codecs, you should embed wmp, use mci or whatever. Check some of the videoplayers in the example scripts forum.

"GUICtrlCreateAvi() is very basic, it can only play the most basic (or perhaps only raw?) codecs"

AAHHH. Thank you AdmiralAlkex. You can see how, for a relative newcomer to autoit like myself (since 8/27/2008), I might have assumed I had a battelship command when actually it was more of a coast guard cutter. If your wise comments had only been in the help for the command, I would have put back into port for a retrofit. No matter, the pain was worth the gain.

:P