Installer Creator

TheSaint

I've mentioned Installer Creator before on at least a couple of occasions, and now I'm able to provide the latest version. I've been using it in some form for nearly 2 years now, and I must say I'm very happy with it. In some ways it's fairly basic, but it's packed with plenty of great features. :idea:

Installer Creator v2.2 is a program to create a setup file (package) for your completed (compiled) script (program). It includes an uninstaller and both work with an Add/Remove registry entry. :P

Some of the supplied documentation, is probably a little out of date now and doesn't mention some of it's later features - one day I'll get around to checking it properly. The most important information can be gleaned from within the program. :(>

Most of the downloads you find on my Toolbox post, have been created with a version of this installer. :)

Download from here.

WARNING - Created and updated with an earlier version of AutoIt, so the script may have issues running or compiling with later versions of AutoIt.

I seriously suggest you read my Disclaimer on my Toolbox page.

Installer Creator v2.8 download (open the re-direction html page with your browser, don't save)

(exe) Installer Creator previous downloads: 3248

Download of Installer Creator v2.9 can be found here.

NOTE - I've also just discovered that an alternate (fixed) v2.9 is available on Page 3,

It seems I have fixed the editing issues now, that were probably due to a Forum update or change at some point. I had to delete all my screenshots and re-upload them. I was getting error messages that wouldn't let me update due to too many images, when I knew for a fact, that I could normally add many more. I proved that, by deleting them all, and re-uploading all, plus adding an extra one, and all is fine now. Probably due to the way the forum used to store attachments.

Here are some screenshots

This is the install file used to store instructions for creation

post-6775-0-43608600-1423004137.jpg

Main Dialog (current & latest)

post-6775-0-03318500-1423004642_thumb.jp

Main Dialog (newer)
post-6775-0-97855900-1423004865_thumb.jp

This is the main dialog (original)
post-6775-0-48274800-1423004759_thumb.jp

This is the Description dialog (where you provide program info, etc)
post-6775-0-05522300-1423004667.jpg

This is the Installer Options dialog
post-6775-0-47927900-1423004192_thumb.jp

This is the Uninstaller Options dialog
post-6775-0-24321100-1423004223_thumb.jp

This is the Shortcut Options dialog
post-6775-0-75531300-1423004242_thumb.jp

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have a language support?

i'm italian

Hi headroom, languages is not something I've ever delved into ... sorry! :idea:

:(

P.S. When I supply the source at a later date, someone else may adapt it for you?

:P

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

and... i noticed it uses teh windows zip functionality to extract files, but what if user has removed it?

i dont have it on my PC, i use a external program, and it errors up :P

you should make it check for zip.dll, and if not found, extract 7zip and use that one :(

Damian666

and proud of it!!!

and... i noticed it uses teh windows zip functionality to extract files, but what if user has removed it?

i dont have it on my PC, i use a external program, and it errors up ;)

you should make it check for zip.dll, and if not found, extract 7zip and use that one :D

Damian666

Hi Damian666 :P

My whole reason was to avoid using third party .dlls. This program uses Windows inbuilt zip functionality ... are you saying you have disabled that (removed a dll or something ... do people normally remove default Windows dlls). I personally use ZipGenius to create my other zips, but generally use Windows to open them. The fix option on the main dialog, fixes one kind of registry change caused by some third party programs (could that be your issue?). Another issue, is that later versions of AutoIt are incompatible with the _ZipFunctions.au3 include file - I had to compile my program with v3.2.0.1 for the zip element to work. :(

(My Wife just rang me and interrupted this reply). :P

As complex as my program may seem or appear, I try to keep things as simple as possible, so incorporating something like 7zip is not very appealing to me. When I get enough feedback and I supply the source, you can adapt it for your own needs (and maybe others). :)

P.S. Even though I had to compile the program with v3.2.0.1, I can still use the program to create Install packages when I'm switched to v3.2.4.9 (I'm not at the moment quite sure why that is, but probably because my program is giving the commands to the AutoIt compiler, etc). :idea:

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

no, thats called Nlite and Vlite man :P

there are tons of people that remove stuff like that, because they use a own program...

its overkill to have twice the zip functionality right?

but hee, i see your point, i was just pointing it out for you :(

Damian666

Edited by damian666
and proud of it!!!

no, thats called Nlite and Vlite man :idea:

there are tons of people that remove stuff like that, because they use a own program...

its overkill to have twice the zip functionality right?

but hee, i see your point, i was just pointing it out for you :)

Damian666

I used to use 98lite many many moons ago, but didn't realise that extended to XP (etc) ... especially with features like zip removal ... honestly, I can't see the need to remove that, when you can just make another program the default ... it's not as if we are short of space on our drives these days? :(

I'm not sure I see the value of the overkill issue ... just don't ask me about how many versions of burning programs, etc I have installed!

Spoiler

userbar.png

@Cdma1X & @SwiftBurns - at the moment I'm only supplying an installer version in a zip file, as I don't have the space on my ISP server to supply in alternate formats. If I get enough requests for a non-installer version only, then I'll probably end up going that way ... but to date I've had extremely little feedback. :(

Do you have download issues (size, etc), or just don't like installers? :P

:idea:

Spoiler

userbar.png

@Cdma1X & @SwiftBurns - at the moment I'm only supplying an installer version in a zip file, as I don't have the space on my ISP server to supply in alternate formats. If I get enough requests for a non-installer version only, then I'll probably end up going that way ... but to date I've had extremely little feedback. :(

Don't like installers, and the fact that #RequireAdmin is a big struggle for me.

Having not going over the code, perhaps an /extract option for the installer - with such a command line switch all the files are extracted to the folder specified. nsis, msi, and other have these options.

Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

Having not going over the code, perhaps an /extract option for the installer - with such a command line switch all the files are extracted to the folder specified. nsis, msi, and other have these options.

While it doesn't happen exactly like that, that is what it kinda does anyway. You run the installer and tell it where to extract to. The only other things my installer does, is create -

1) Desktop and Start Menu shortcuts.

2) Registry Add/Remove entry.

3) Copies the Uninstaller to - 'C:\Program Files\Uninstaller' - if not there already or it needs updating.

4) Cleans up after itself.

It doesn't install anything else or mess with other files or folders. :P

If you don't like the shortcuts, etc they are pretty easy to remove. That said, I have made command-line extractors before, but didn't see the need here. :(

The shortcuts are usually -

1) Current user's desktop

2) All user's Start Menu -> Programs -> Generic Folder -> Program Name Folder

The Generic Folder is usually - AutoIt or Tools or Utilities or System etc. A link to the Uninstaller is also included in this start menu path.

On another note, my Installer does not overwrite settings files if re-installing, and my Uninstaller gives you 2 uninstall options - Full (complete wipe) or leave settings files and user files behind. :)

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Don't like installers, and the fact that #RequireAdmin is a big struggle for me.

My programs don't usually require Admin.

If you and others really want, I could eventually include a commandline extract option?

Spoiler

userbar.png

My programs don't usually require Admin.

If you and others really want, I could eventually include a commandline extract option?

Your installers do, or they can't write to the registry or create anything in program files. But yes, that would be nice.

Your installers do, or they can't write to the registry or create anything in program files. But yes, that would be nice.

You must have a very limited account if you can't do that.

However, you don't have to install to Program Files ... and if you can't do registry, then you essentially just get what you want - the files in a folder. You'll probably still have shortcuts (unless you aren't allowed them either), but you can delete them anyway. If your account is that limited, I'm surprised they let you run other exe's.

Spoiler

userbar.png

You must have a very limited account if you can't do that.

However, you don't have to install to Program Files ... and if you can't do registry, then you essentially just get what you want - the files in a folder. You'll probably still have shortcuts (unless you aren't allowed them either), but you can delete them anyway. If your account is that limited, I'm surprised they let you run other exe's.

It's vista. Not my account. Without #RequireAdmin, vista can't do anything. But yes, all I want is the files in a folder..

It's vista. Not my account. Without #RequireAdmin, vista can't do anything. But yes, all I want is the files in a folder..

I have extremely limited experience with Vista, but isnt that just a setting you can toggle or disable (not recommended)?

Spoiler

userbar.png

Anyways like I said in my Disclaimer, none of my programs have been tested by me in Vista ... and I'm in no hurry to get Vista ... might just bypass it I think!

Spoiler

userbar.png