Script (not GUI) to tray?

[i see now why I've been having trouble logging on the site. The regular search seems to have been replaced by a google one. Boy, google sure is taking over ... Wonder if it will work better in future as it's not worked for me this morning. <g>]

In all the searches that did manage to work this morning, all I keep finding is GUI to tray. I've never found a way to get AI to send something to the tray like an app or file. @SW_HIDE hides it completely which is not what is needed, and @SW_MINIMIZE just minimizes to the taskbar.

Is there no way to send something that is not a GUI, to the tray?

Thx! :P

Edited by Diana (Cda)

By default, all scripts do appear in the system tray - you can see the autoit symbol in the tray when you run a script.

You can add menu items and other controls using the TrayCreateItem (etc) functions - see the help file.

What specifically do you want to see in the tray?

- Table UDF - create simple data tables - Line Graph UDF GDI+ - quickly create simple line graphs with x and y axes (uses GDI+ with double buffer) - Line Graph UDF - quickly create simple line graphs with x and y axes (uses AI native graphic control) - Barcode Generator Code 128 B C - Create the 1/0 code for barcodes. - WebCam as BarCode Reader - use your webcam to read barcodes - Stereograms!!! - make your own stereograms in AutoIT - Ziggurat Gaussian Distribution RNG - generate random numbers based on normal/gaussian distribution - Box-Muller Gaussian Distribution RNG - generate random numbers based on normal/gaussian distribution - Elastic Radio Buttons - faux-gravity effects in AutoIT (from javascript)- Morse Code Generator - Generate morse code by tapping your spacebar!

• Moderators

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41655

P.S. - I had no problems searching google:

"minimize to tray"+"autoit" :P ...

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I love this site but personally always found the search a little weak, or maybe I'm just spoiled.

I've used google to search this forum myself many times and had good results

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains... Go anywhere, when it is quiet, and just listen.. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged.... Long after we are gone our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."

Nah, I love the AI search engine. It does better _for_me_ than the google attempt that was here for a bit. Glad we're back to the regular search, personally. <g>

Sorry, my subject line was not clear, I see. Yes, there's a _lot_ about sending GUIs to the tray but not items that a script opens, i.e., window of an open file or program, to the tray. That's what I can't find. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in the subject line.

I now have a pretty good handle on creating GUIs and that syntax I have already. But say I open a file, call it "Text file.txt", and need to send it to the tray, I haven't been able to find a way to do that with AI. The @SW_ have minimize to taskbar and maximize and hide but nothing to send an item directly to the tray that I've been able to find through extensive searching and looking through the help file.

This text file does something pretty cool, it's something AI looks for in a particular set of scripts I have. If it's open, then it doesn't run those scripts. So I only need it to be in the systray, not on the taskbar; a secondary problem being that when it's on the taskbar, I've accidentally closed the file a couple of times, too, which is not good <g>.

How can we send an item we're opening to the tray, pls, as I imagine it may be a nasty workaround? <vbg>

Thanks. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in responding. RL and new job contract ...

Well, I finally had a chance to look at this. I'm guessing by this and other messages re this issue that AI just can't handle the task of minimizing to tray simply at this time ... (?). Minime is neat but it doesn't do anything I don't already have a couple of freewares to do. The whole idea, of course, was to get an idea about how to handle the situation with AI, so I understand that. It's just that it's looking like AI can't handle this task, judging from my own experience, limited though it is, and this script above.

Minime is great for what it does, however! Good work there. It _hides_ the chosen window (@SW_HIDE) and places it in in a "holding bay" in the tray. Then you click on the item again to unhide it.

I'm not sure I'll be able to do a workaround anytime soon as this script is too complex for me at this stage. But I'm guessing I'd have to hide the text file window in question and then the code would place an identical text file icon in the systray that can be clicked to get it out of the tray. Clunky, but I can see it being a solution once I get enough knowledge to do this. This way, what I'd do is immediately send the text file to the tray automatically, which is the goal without any further clicking to get it there.

In the meantime, I'll continue using the manual minimize-to-tray freeware I'm currently using.

Thanks for everyone's help. :mellow:

p.s., Too bad this isn't just something available as a straight code. Would it be possible to have something like "@SW_MinimizeToTray" built into AI in future releases?

p.p.s, wait, I never thought to check for a UDF that would do the same. I'll do that now.