Why does this script use about 5% of the cpu?

http://www.insolence9.com/downloads/iClock.au3

http://www.insolence9.com/downloads/alerts.db

If you want to run the whole thing put the second file in the same dir

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

Blah :lmao:

Thanks for testing it.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

it probably wont get better than that, i worked for a few hours trying to make mine take less CPU but i never could get it less than 0-5%

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

Alright, thanks :lmao:

use a true "Deep Sleep" :lmao:o:):):)

include the following:

Func _DeepSleep ($timetowait)
; Call system KERNEL32's Sleep, $timetowait SEC
    local $timetowait_ms                    ; for conversion
    $timetowait_ms=$timetowait*1000; adjust to MS
    DllCall("KERNEL32.DLL","none","Sleep","int",$timetowait_ms)
EndFunc

just change your Sleep(10) statement with

if WinActive("iClock") then
        Sleep(10); to ensure "normal" GUI operations are not too sloowwww 
   Else
        _DeepSleep(10); wait before testing next "timer" here 10s (could be set hiher see comment below)
   EndIf

CPU using origial coding: 5 to 6% :whistle:

CPU using _DeepSleep: almost "nothing" :huh2: (except during GUI operations)

obviously depend on the time resolution set

timer parameters resolution should be set higher than "timetowait" not to miss them

Only Drawback: "WINDOWS+C" and "Tray Icon CLICK" should wait at least "1 timetowait" long (but y're nat changing alarm every seconde :) )

No adverse noticeable effect on other programs running or total CPU load on a W98 system

EDIT> CAUTION if you choose a high value for "timetowait" (say 10th of mn or hours) your script will not receive any message, nor could be interrupted using tray icon all that long!!! (to be stopped process has to be "Killed") so be careful <EDIT

Edited by lupusbalo