PixelGetColor with Monitor Off

Is there any way to get PixelGetColor to work when the monitor is turned off? I have a script on my laptop that checks a specific pixel every few minutes but it wont work when the notebook is closed (which would be ideal). Any ideas?

Once you have made the required changes to your BIOS settings your script will work.

Why are you monitoring pixels with the lid down? This sounds like some form of 'stealth' thing to me...

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves possess.

Once you have made the required changes to your BIOS settings your script will work.

Why are you monitoring pixels with the lid down? This sounds like some form of 'stealth' thing to me...

I'm setting the laptop up with tightVNC and it will consume less power with the lid down (no screen to power). The script is just to make some things easier when using the laptop remotely. What BIOS changes do I need to make?

I'm setting the laptop up with tightVNC and it will consume less power with the lid down (no screen to power). The script is just to make some things easier when using the laptop remotely. What BIOS changes do I need to make?

Most laptops have the option in BIOS to have the hardware place the system into sleep, suspend, or hibernate (well, my Dell does...).

you will need to go into the BIOS, and have a bit of a play.

My advice is to make 1 change at a time, that way if something goes awry it is easy to correct.

Make sure that you power settings in control panel are also set to not interfere with your script with the lid closed - again have a look, and make the adjustment that fit your requirements, and try it with the lid down.

I do find it strange that you are using VNC but ask advice regarding the BIOS!

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves possess.

I asked for advice about BIOS as it was something that you brought up. Anyway I dont think you understand what I need as I already have my laptop set to stay active when I close the lid, the screen merely turns off which is screwing with my use of PixelGetColor and I'm seeking a way to prevent that (other than being forced to leave the screen on).

I asked for advice about BIOS as it was something that you brought up. Anyway I dont think you understand what I need as I already have my laptop set to stay active when I close the lid, the screen merely turns off which is screwing with my use of PixelGetColor and I'm seeking a way to prevent that (other than being forced to leave the screen on).

1) On the Acer and Dell laptops available to me, the only element which prevents PixelGetColor from working is the BIOS placing the hardware into suspend, sleep, or hardware hibernation.

2) The event of the screen being on or off does NOT effect the running of any script or program.

If anyone knows otherwise PLEASE let me know, as I have yet to discover otherwise.

3) try leaving the screen on....

As your goal is to save power, if you can't get it to work with the lid down have you tried setting the power options (in control panel) to turn the screen off after a very short period. Depending on what your script does it may not work as your script may keep reactivating the display if it's simulating user interaction all the time.

It's certainly not necessary to have even have a monitor connected, in the case of a desktop, to interact with the graphics, but you must have a graphics card installed.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

The pixel functions read data from the device. If the device is blank, what data is there to read?

The device that the is read from is the memory used by the graphics adapter not the physical screen, so it's possible to read the colour of the pixels when the screen is powered off or disconnected. I have 50 PC in a room at work none of them have monitors and I run Test Automation scripts written in AutoIt that use the pixel functions and screen dumps to file. Everything works just the same as if a monitor screen were attached.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

does the monitor use power to display Black color? #000000 if not you can create black image & full screen it. This should not affect pixelgetcolor.

My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

In Windows, go to the power settings in the control panel. There you can tell it to turn off the monitor after 5 minutes, but do nothing else. (No suspend, turn off Harddisk, so forth) I have this setup on a laptop at home I use for a special purpose. Works fine.