Need an idea...

I made a program to control a few computers in a classroom, it reads a simple ini file.

My problem is anyone on the network could edit the ini file, how do I get it protected? Could I possibly use dllcall's and a secure mySQL database somewhere?

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

Well, excellent idea, but that doesn't stop them from just deleting the file.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

It's at my school and I'm not an admin. Any other solution?

It's at my school and I'm not an admin.  Any other solution?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other than filling out the paperwork and getting a project folder on the network drive that is set up as described earler....not that I know of. Setting the file attribs to +RH may help, but that will really only slow someone down and annoy them.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

you could always encrypt it

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

Xenogis, come on, read what I said. Someone could just delete it.

MSL, will this get me in trouble with the school or anything?

Can I set it to read from any account, and write from only my/the teachers account?

Xenogis, come on, read what I said.  Someone could just delete it.

MSL, will this get me in trouble with the school or anything?

Can I set it to read from any account, and write from only my/the teachers account?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

02/08/2005 16:53:19.12

C:\>cacls /?

Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files

CACLS filename [/T] [/E] [/C] [/G user:perm] [/R user [...]]

[/P user:perm [...]] [/D user [...]]

filename      Displays ACLs.

/T            Changes ACLs of specified files in

the current directory and all subdirectories.

/E            Edit ACL instead of replacing it.

/C            Continue on access denied errors.

/G user:perm  Grant specified user access rights.

Perm can be: R  Read

W  Write

C  Change (write)

F  Full control

/R user      Revoke specified user's access rights (only valid with /E).

/P user:perm  Replace specified user's access rights.

Perm can be: N  None

R  Read

W  Write

C  Change (write)

F  Full control

/D user      Deny specified user access.

Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command.

You can specify more than one user in a command.

Abbreviations:

CI - Container Inherit.

The ACE will be inherited by directories.

OI - Object Inherit.

The ACE will be inherited by files.

IO - Inherit Only.

The ACE does not apply to the current file/directory.

02/08/2005 16:53:33.98

C:\>

C:\cacls filename.txt /P *:R

*SHOULD* set everyone to read only, then you just add a

Edit: Doesn't work.

C:\cacls filename /G youraccount:F

to grant yourself full control.

Ok, you may have to loop the permission denial after dumping the ouput of "cacls filename.txt > temp.txt"

Edited by Blue_Drache

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

Thank you VERY much!

how about read ini file

if file, key, or value is corrupted, fileinstall inifile

or grab inifile from comp B, modify for comp A

installl to comp A, cycle through all pc's and if not found fileinstall and repeat.

or put a backup in another directory and if dir1 ini file does not exist, run backup inifile and place a copy in dir 1 or some other trick?

Edited by Coffee

That doesn't work either. Someone can just edit the ini directly. I can't encrpt it because eventually they could just catch on.

I think I'll use the DOS stuff that was mentioned with some encryption algoritym I come up with.

Maybe current action & time would be the R4 key... something like that :lmao:

Having this in the startup of any computer that can access the file will work:

2 programs, each program makes sure the other is not closed and is not delted from the startup registry.

Have 4 .txt files that have same content. Each program will open their files using FileOpen(). This makes the files unable to be deleted. If one of the files becomes corrupt then it is replaced.

Lastly, you can have an admin program that is passworded internally that can tell the others to disable themselves.

/note: There is most likely something easier but this one you don't have to use external program.

Edited by Wolvereness

Offering any help to anyone (to my capabilities of course)Want to say thanks? Click here! [quote name='Albert Einstein']Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.[/quote][quote name='Wolvereness' date='7:35PM Central, Jan 11, 2005']I'm NEVER wrong, I call it something else[/quote]

Yes, the easier method is just setting permissions.

You could just write a script to close both .exe's anyway and it'd throw the whole thing off... can't really get passed that.

I don't have to do that, and that still doesn't solve any problems.

FileSize does that well enough.