Does someone know how psexec works?

Angel

Hi,

I find myself in the need to launch a program from one PC into another different PC (this is for an internal program for my company). I thought of using a server in the 2nd PC and use TCP to communicate with them. That works but it has the drawback of making sure that the server is actually running on the target PC.

I know about PSEXEC from SysInternals. The problem is that it is not free for commercial use, so I cannot include it with my program. You are allowed (I think) to download and use it, but you cannot distribute it.

So my question is if someone here has any idea about how does psexec do its magic?

Cheers,

Angel

P.S.- BTW, that would be a great functionality for AutoIt!

• Developers

So my question is if someone here has any idea about how does psexec do its magic?

P.S.- BTW, that would be a great functionality for AutoIt!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PSExec is using RPC to communicate to the remote pc/server's Service(RpcSs). It can first transfer the program to the remote pc and then run it under the defined credentials.

Not sure how this functionality would benefit autoit...

I would expect that you would use PSEXEC to transfer an AutoIt3 script to a remotebox and then run it so it can do its thing ....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

PSExec is using RPC to communicate to the remote pc/server's Service(RpcSs). It can first transfer the program to the remote pc and then run it under the defined credentials.

Not sure how this functionality would benefit autoit...

I would expect that you would use PSEXEC to transfer an AutoIt3 script to a remotebox and then run it so it can do its thing ....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jos :lmao:

I actually just need to execute a program that will already be in the target machine (I don't really need upload it first). And the program that I want to run is not an autoit script. It is an executable that has alreayd been installed in that PC.

When I say that it'd be a nice functionality is only because it is no possible to redistribute psexec.exe. So if you want to use a program that does this kind of stuff the user must manually download a copy of psexec from the SysInternals web site.

I think that this would be useful to update machines remotely, for instance, by running installers or updaters from the administrator's machine. But perhaps there are other easier ways of doing this which I don't know about.

Do you have any other idea of how I could achieve my goal (running a program in another PC) from and AutoIt script without using a server of my own or using psexec?

Cheers,

Angel

Hi Jos  :)

I actually just need to execute a program that will already be in the target machine (I don't really need upload it first). And the program that I want to run is not an autoit script. It is an executable that has alreayd been installed in that PC.

Do you have any other idea of how I could achieve my goal (running a program in another PC) from and AutoIt script without using a server of my own or using psexec?

Cheers,

Angel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Angel,

Does the remote PC also run the 'Task Scheduler' service?

Then you could do this on the local computer:

AT \\remotecomputername (time) /interactive "C:\somepath\ontheremote\your.exe"

In an AutoIt script you can wrap that line in a Run statement and use @hour:@min for (time) to run the task immediately.

Regards,

-Sven

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PSExec, though brilliant, does some pretty dodgy things like install a temporary service on the remote machine and rely on clean execution for it to be removed.

Yes yes yes, there it was. Youth must go, ah yes. But youth is only being in a way like it might be an animal. No, it is not just being an animal so much as being like one of these malenky toys you viddy being sold in the streets, like little chellovecks made out of tin and with a spring inside and then a winding handle on the outside and you wind it up grrr grrr grrr and off it itties, like walking, O my brothers. But it itties in a straight line and bangs straight into things bang bang and it cannot help what it is doing. Being young is like being like one of these malenky machines.

• Administrators

PSExec, though brilliant, does some pretty dodgy things like install a temporary service on the remote machine and rely on clean execution for it to be removed.

Thanks, I'd always wondered how it did what it did.

Actually, with pacman's current service creation functions, it is possible to do most of this with autoit directly. With those functions, it is already possible to create and start a service on a remote computer. The only real problem you would have is making a program into a service. Once you have a service "wrapper" like srvany, you can execute any program on a remote system without need for anything else.

Who else would I be?

I think having the ability to execute applications on remote machines would be a great addition for AutoIt.  What does everyone think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would be awesome. IMHO

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of SMART?

You can use  beyondexec from beyondlogic at  this link :

Beyondexec

It is Freeware and the same  like Psexec.

Bye

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys! I always wanted to know how PSexec worked.

Edy. BeyondExec looks great. Does anybody know who is behind the Beyond Logic tools? How comes that this is a freeware tool? I could not find an "about us" or "contact us" link in their web page. I seems perfect for my needs, but I always want some info on the programs that I run on my employer machines, so I'd like to be sure that they can be trusted.

Oh! And Sven, thanks for the tip. That looks very promising way to solve the problem.

this-is-me, can you point me to some thread were there is more info on what you suggest and also on svrany?

Thanks to all!!! :lmao:

Angel

Edy. BeyondExec looks great. Does anybody know who is behind the Beyond Logic tools? How comes that this is a freeware tool? I could not find an "about us" or "contact us" link in their web page. I seems perfect for my needs, but I always want some info on the programs that I run on my employer machines, so I'd like to be sure that they can be trusted.

Angel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check this link:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/about.htm

• 11 months later...