Process protection?

This will NOT work....

1.) We cannot write device drivers using AutoIt. AutoIt is a interpreted language not a compiled one and even then it would need to be low level like C.

2.) It isn't possible to write a rootkit or gain Ring-0 access to the kernal using AutoIt for the same reasons above.

3.) If by some reason I am incorrect AutoIt is way to slow to do anything mentioned above.

I would cut your losses and focus on other ways to protect your "program". There are plenty of other ways and the fact you keep insisting doing it this way is very suspicious. There is no need for such protection unless you are doing something malicious. With all the talk of rootkits I believe we might want to lock the thread.

@Cw2K1: Shame on you! Did you copy that list from CastleCops and not cite your source....

http://www.castlecops.com/p970454-How_Anti..._Processes.html

Edited by AgentSmith15

Well , i'm NOT doing any malicious programs, take my word or leave it .

If i consider other alternatives like the following :

While 1
If ProcessExists("taskmgr.exe") Then
ProcessClose("taskmgr.exe")
Endif
Wend

It wouldn't be right , because my program is meant to protect the computer, and if i disallow taskmgr from running , it'll never be right .

• Developers

Curious how you are going to explain this statement ....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

This will NOT work....

1.) We cannot write device drivers using AutoIt. AutoIt is a interpreted language not a compiled one and even then it would need to be low level like C.

2.) It isn't possible to write a rootkit or gain Ring-0 access to the kernal using AutoIt for the same reasons above.

3.) If by some reason I am incorrect AutoIt is way to slow to do anything mentioned above.

I would cut your losses and focus on other ways to protect your "program". There are plenty of other ways and the fact you keep insisting doing it this way is very suspicious. There is no need for such protection unless you are doing something malicious. With all the talk of rootkits I believe we might want to lock the thread.

@Cw2K1: Shame on you! Did you copy that list from CastleCops and not cite your source....

http://www.castlecops.com/p970454-How_Anti..._Processes.html

i did not copy it all, the copied text is quoted in my post. have some sense...
Enjoy the complexity.Feel the power of simplicity.

• Developers

I can release the source when i'm done with everything , still working on something ..

i was referring to the "take my word or leave" bit ..... anyways... nobody is guilty until proven, but process protection does sound a bit "iffy" Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

If i consider other alternatives like the following :

While 1
If ProcessExists("taskmgr.exe") Then
ProcessClose("taskmgr.exe")
Endif
Wend

It wouldn't be right , because my program is meant to protect the computer, and if i disallow taskmgr from running , it'll never be right .

Ah so this program is supposed to "protect" your computer, but in your first post you said this tool was to monitor bandwidth. Which is it going to be? Why is your story changing?

i did not copy it all, the copied text is quoted in my post. have some sense...

Actually you wrapped it in code tags and didn't mention AltF4 or CastleCops. Anyways sorry I don't mean to be ass. You don't know how many kids have plagiarized their essays.

Well , the concept is like this , it monitors the bandwidth and stop unauthortised access and close the process when a process uses too much bandwidth ?

I'm still working on it , haven't got it all right .

Alright , stop all the argues about malicious and non-malicious usage.

I've heard you could modify taskmgr to not display your program, but that only works against if a person tried to close the process. Are you trying to protect your process from other processes?

Also how are you able to distinguish which process is using a lot of the bandwidth? Also what if you were using NetBIOS and you were surfing around your local network, would that shutdown the windows component?

I've heard you could modify taskmgr to not display your program, but that only works against if a person tried to close the process. Are you trying to protect your process from other processes?

Well , i've saw the script posted in example section before but that only works for taskmgr if i'm not wrong ..

I want it to be protected from all terminations .

Maybe i can make it to exclude NETBios? I've stated in the many previous posts , i'm still working on it .

Is this to help stop downloaders and things like Limewire from working? I'm thinking you want to do throttling to control the use of bandwidth. You may have better luck in finding information on that. As far as the MSDN, I was not pulling your chain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking

Edited by Volly

You can try service for unkillable process...

Everyone knows about it. Services can be stopped. we are talking about making a process which will be unkillable like a critical system process.
Enjoy the complexity.Feel the power of simplicity.