Re-usable code

Can I create code which is stored in a separate *.au3 and pass paramaters into in?

I am intending on reporting errors to file using the following code:

$file = FileOpen(c:\Development\vbcommon\LogFile\AutoLab.txt,1)

FileWriteLine($file,"text")

FileClose($file)

What is the code to put this into a separate *.au3 file so that other code in separate *.au3 use this code by passing in paramaters?

Thanks

um, im not quite sure what you mean, im either trying to read it with to much noise (which i wouldn't be suprised) or you didn't write too clear. try and use the $CmdLine array $CmdLine[0] has how many command line parameters were passed $CmdLine[1] and up has the command line parameters

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

You want one program to run another by passing parameters? A combination of what the previous response plus

; Program A
code goes here to figure out parameters

Run("Program B.exe " & $param1 & " " & $param2 & " " &  ... $paramN)

In program B, you'd have a

For $x = 1 to $cmdline[0] step 1
   Select 
      Case $cmdline[$x] = "blah"
         ; some statements
      Case $cmdline[$x] = "bleep"
         ; more statements
   EndSelect
Next

Or something like that.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

Can I create code which is stored in a separate *.au3 and pass paramaters into in?

[..]

What is the code to put this into a separate *.au3 file so that other code in separate *.au3 use this code by passing in paramaters?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrap your function like this..

Func _MyLog($psText)

;Writes $psText to my logfile.

$file = FileOpen(c:\Development\vbcommon\LogFile\AutoLab.txt,1)

FileWriteLine($file,$psText)

FileClose($file)

EndFunc

.. Then save the above file to WillsIncludes.au3. Now you can call this function from any other script you care to write, if you #include its source: suppose you you want to use your log function in another script called WillsTest.au3 ...

;WillsTest.au3

#include WillsIncludes.au3

;do stuff

;do stuff

;do stuff

_MyLog("Hello world")

;do stuff

;do stuff

_MyLog("Version = " & @AUTOITVERSION)

HTH :lmao:

.. Sorry about the lack of indentation in the script samples, but that only seems to be available in CODE blocks, which in turn don't allow for custom colours.