Locking down a computer

punisa

Hi !

I have a few monitors set up in a hotel lobby to display various information. They are all connected to a small server computer which operates automatically via Autoit script.

Setup also initiates blockinput(1) as soon as it starts.

Now what worries me is how can someone get into my computer and change what is displayed? Main computer I mentioned earlier is connected to a wireless USB internet and periodically downloads new video files to display.

Is there any way I can improve my security with autoit besides using a blockinput control?

Main computer is not physically rechable, but is there any way I can block potential internet intruders?

Any help will make me sleep better guys, so please don't hesitate :mellow:

Edited by punisa

carpe diem

yes

set a good firewall

when you set it

block all that yo don't use (Wireless, Firewire, bluetooth), unused programs, servers and so on

i can recommend Zone Alarm Security suite

search torrents for free download and key

if you are sure there is no physical access to PC it is very good

P.S.

I forget to tell you

if there are LAN cables ot other cables someone could sabotage

you PC by electroshock to LAN or video cables

200 000 V in not a joke

so hide cables in the walls AND/OR equip with surge protectors

Edited by usmiv4o

I have nothing to be proud: I am Bulgarian :~But there is no better place than 127.0.0.1Tutorial for newbies

yes

set a good firewall

when you set it

block all that yo don't use (Wireless, Firewire, bluetooth), unused programs, servers and so on

i can recommend Zone Alarm Security suite

search torrents for free download and key

if you are sure there is no physical access to PC it is very good

P.S.

I forget to tell you

if there are LAN cables ot other cables someone could sabotage

you PC by electroshock to LAN or video cables

200 000 V in not a joke

so hide cables in the walls AND/OR equip with surge protectors

Hello my Bulgarian friend (neighbor), thank you for all the recommendations : )

Unfortunately I must display every piece of software used and the process I constructed to my employers, there is no way they would agree to use Zone Alarm cracked (and would not pay either, lol).

Regarding the cables, I hope no one will be foolish enough to try something like that on the stop. he could get caught and I might kill him ; )

I use ULTRAVNC to access my computer, I heard its rather safe?

Thing is, if someone actually breaks into my computer via internet. Will the controls by autoit (blockinput) still be locked down for him? Or can he easily break it and start messing around?

Could I somehow set a password display if ANYTHING starts to act weird ? Like if any control is pressed, or someone manages to access my computer?

I know I'm asking a lot, but my employers want me to document all these potential problems and how to stop/resolve them.

Autoit helped me alot in my work, so I was hoping I could use it to also make my project more secure.

carpe diem

Regarding the cables, I hope no one will be foolish enough to try something like that on the stop. he could get caught and I might kill him ; )

yes it is true but i assume that

someone external suspicious subject could get into you office and broke videosurveilance

Thing is, if someone actually breaks into my computer via internet. Will the controls by autoit (blockinput) still be locked down for him? Or can he easily break it and start messing around?

Could I somehow set a password display if ANYTHING starts to act weird ? Like if any control is pressed, or someone manages to access my computer?

If someone break inside you room AutoIt will not stop him.

For example he can stop you PC and run with LiveCD. Then copy all interesting files / or delete them or even worse - fake them and leave freely and hapy.

I use ULTRAVNC to access my computer, I heard its rather safe?

it is difficult to catch traffic between 2 PC and analyse. If it is encrypted it is even close to impossible.

But here is a bad thing : optional Encryption (http://www.uvnc.com/)

these means that if you pay you will get encryption.

Unfortunately I must display every piece of software used and the process I constructed to my employers, there is no way they would agree to use Zone Alarm cracked (and would not pay either, lol).

I dont understand this part of you text. If you need legal Firewall - there are a lot of. If you set Zone alarm (cracked) on server no one need to pay. But if police comes to check for non-legal soft here is a problem...

I know I'm asking a lot, but my employers want me to document all these potential problems and how to stop/resolve them.

i can help you - call me on skype it will be interesting to help solving this problem. (skype: usmiv4o)

bad plan 1:

If someone set software or hardware keylogger to you PC he can use password to connect to Server.

Solved:

If you set server to accept only you IP to connect all will be OK.

bad plan 2:

someone access to Server and stop it , use live CD and make bad things

solved:

from other PC you can ping constantly you server. If it stops - you have email or SMS. It is useful if something breaks.

so for now

hope it will be useful for you.

:mellow:

I have nothing to be proud: I am Bulgarian :~But there is no better place than 127.0.0.1Tutorial for newbies