List Factors of a Number

NELyon

Just a quick tool I whipped up.

Global $nData
$hGUI = GUICreate("Factorizr", 524, 154, 240, 142)
$hNumber = GUICtrlCreateInput("25", 16, 40, 497, 21)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Number to get factors of:", 192, 16, 300, 17)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 224, 80, 200, 17)
$hFactors = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 16, 96, 497, 21)
$hCopy = GUICtrlCreateButton("Copy to Clipboard", 120, 128, 105, 17, 0)
$hFactor = GUICtrlCreateButton("Get Factors", 250, 128, 105, 17)
ControlFocus($hGUI, "", $hFactor)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case -3
            Exit
        Case $hCopy
            ControlFocus($hGUI, "", $hFactors)
            ClipPut(GUICtrlRead($hFactors))
        Case $hFactor
            $nNumber = Int(GUICtrlRead($hNumber));
            GUICtrlSetData($hFactors, "Working...")
            $azFactors = _GetFactors($nNumber)
            If IsArray($azFactors) Then
                GUICtrlSetData($hFactor, "Working...")
;~              ConsoleWrite("->Debug Output: $azFactors[0] = " & $azFactors[0] & @CRLF)
                For $i = 1 to $azFactors[0] 
;~                  ConsoleWrite("->Debug Output: $azFactors[" & $i & "] = " & $azFactors[$i] & @CRLF)
                    $nData &= $azFactors[$i] & ", "
                Next
                If $azFactors[0] = 2 Then
                    GUICtrlSetData($Label2, "Factors for " & $nNumber & " (Prime):")
                Else
                    GUICtrlSetData($Label2, "Factors for " & $nNumber & " (Composite):")
                EndIf
;~              ConsoleWrite("->Debug Output: $nData = " & $nData)
                GUICtrlSetData($hFactors, StringTrimRight($nData, 2))
                $nData = ""
                GUICtrlSetData($hFactor, "Get Factors")
            Else
                ConsoleWrite("->Not an array? _GetFactors produced: " & $azFactors & @CRLF)
            EndIf
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func _GetFactors($iInteger) 
    Local $azFactors[1], $nFactors = 0
    If not IsInt($iInteger) Then
        Return -1 ;Number is not an integer
    EndIf
    For $i = 1 to $iInteger
        If Mod($iInteger, $i) = 0 Then
                $nFactors +=1
                Redim $azFactors[$nFactors+1]
                $azFactors[$nFactors] = $i
        EndIf
    Next
    $azFactors[0] = $nFactors
    Return $azFactors
EndFunc

Pretty self explanatory.

Edited by KentonBomb

I realize that you aren't really going for algorithm optimization... but if you think about it for a half second I think you'd see that you only need to loop from 1 to ceil(sqrt(n)) to find all factors. It can make a big difference in speed for larger n.

I realize that you aren't really going for algorithm optimization... but if you think about it for a half second I think you'd see that you only need to loop from 1 to ceil(sqrt(n)) to find all factors. It can make a big difference in speed for larger n.

Wouldn't that only list the factors that are less than sqrt(n)? That is what I expected, and that is also what happened when I tried it.

Wouldn't that only list the factors that are less than sqrt(n)? That is what I expected, and that is also what happened when I tried it.

Your script could be misleading to someone who just wants the factors of a number. That is, a lot of numbers when multiplied together equals that number.

Your script does not return the factors of a number.

Your script returns a list of whole numbers, each number being a single factor of a number

Enter 16 in your script and it returns, "1, 2, 4, 8, 16"

But, "1, 2, 4, 8, 16" are the factors of 1024

1 is a factor of every number

2 is a factor of 16

4 is a factor of 16

8 is a factor of 16

16 is a factor of 16

Each and every number in the list is a factor of 16

Now,1 and 16 are the factors of 16

1, 2, 8 are the factors of 16

2.5 and 6.4 are the factors of 16

But, 1, 2, 4, 8 are NOT the factors of 16

2 and 16 are NOT the factors of 16

Polynomial, x^2 - 4, factors are (x - 2) * (x + 2) [From Wikipedia (en) - Factorization]

When the factors of a number / object are multiplied together, the result is that number / object

So one has to realize the factors that make factors, factors, and the difference between the factors of a number and a factor of a number.

And that's a fact.

Maybe someone else could express that better, clearer, more understandable. If you can understand in the first place what I'm on about.

He's calculating the factors, you're talking about polynomials. Similar, but not identical; he is correct.

You are correct, too, but far and above what the particular tool in this thread is about. 2.5 and 6.4 are the polynomial factors of 16 for that equation, but have no relevance to the general sort of factor he's talking about.

For that matter, the digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 0 are the factors of the set of decimal integers, where 0,1 are the factors of binary. Factors, the word, encompasses the set of all logical abstractions symbolizing the building blocks or atomic concepts comprising said set. This happens to be the whole number, numeric factorization of integers. Factors are confusing, if you don't make certain assumptions about what you're about. :mellow:

Neat script, btw.

If your algorithm generates that y is a factor of z then it follows that z/y is an integer and is thus a factor you get for 'free'. (I use free to mean that you can find it in constant time, big-O(1).) And for any given pair of integers (x,y) where x*y=n, either x<=sqrt(n) XOR y<=sqrt(n). This follows since if you let both numbers be an epsilon larger than sqrt(n) than you cannot have the condition that x*y=n. e.g. (sqrt(n)+e1)*(sqrt(n)+e2) = n + sqrt(n)(e1+e2) + e1*e2 = n, and this can only be true if e1 or e2 is negative, which proves the point.

So loop thru ceiling(sqrt(n)) and then use the list of factors below sqrt(n) to generate their corresponding factors greater than sqrt(n).

Here's a simple version of what I mean...

Func getDivisors($n)
    Local $i = 1
    Local $sqrt_n = Ceiling(Sqrt($n))
    ConsoleWrite("Factors of " & $n)
    For $i=1 to $sqrt_n
        If Mod($n, $i)=0 Then
            ConsoleWrite("(" & $i & "," & $n/$i & ")")
        EndIf
    Next
    ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)
EndFunc

Also, something more interesting might be to get the prime factorization of the number, though to be fair no-one has ever asked for or needed that in these forums (to my knowledge).

Edited by Wus