On Error Resume Next

I think the only way of handling it is using @error macro

Some Projects:[list][*]ZIP UDF using no external files[*]iPod Music Transfer [*]iTunes UDF - fully integrate iTunes with au3[*]iTunes info (taskbar player hover)[*]Instant Run - run scripts without saving them before :)[*]Get Tube - YouTube Downloader[*]Lyric Finder 2 - Find Lyrics to any of your song[*]DeskBox - A Desktop Extension Tool[/list]indifference will ruin the world, but in the end... WHO CARES :P---------------http://torels.altervista.org

yeah but it will still crash if the error is critical

Can you give some example code? If the error is with a COM object you can use this example from the HelpFile.

Global $g_eventerror = 0  ; to be checked to know if com error occurs. Must be reset after handling.

$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc") ; Install a custom error handler

; Performing a deliberate failure here (object does not exist)
$oIE = ObjCreate("InternetExplorer.Application")
$oIE.visible = 1
$oIE.bogus 
if $g_eventerror then Msgbox(0,"","the previous line got an error.")

Exit 

; This is my custom error handler 
Func MyErrFunc() 
   $HexNumber=hex($oMyError.number,8) 
   Msgbox(0,"","We intercepted a COM Error !" & @CRLF & _
                "Number is: " & $HexNumber & @CRLF & _
                "Windescription is: " & $oMyError.windescription ) 

$g_eventerror = 1 ; something to check for when this function returns 
Endfunc

• 1 month later...

well if the error is very bad...no

$a = _someFunc ;<-- missing () so you have an error
$String = $a & "world" ;$a is nothing... so you will have another error!

Func _SomeFunc()
return "hello "
EndFunc

Some Projects:[list][*]ZIP UDF using no external files[*]iPod Music Transfer [*]iTunes UDF - fully integrate iTunes with au3[*]iTunes info (taskbar player hover)[*]Instant Run - run scripts without saving them before :)[*]Get Tube - YouTube Downloader[*]Lyric Finder 2 - Find Lyrics to any of your song[*]DeskBox - A Desktop Extension Tool[/list]indifference will ruin the world, but in the end... WHO CARES :P---------------http://torels.altervista.org

Hi,

Is there a way to imitate the "On Error Resume Next" from VB6 to autoit?

So if there is an error it will continue to run and not crash.

Thanks!

That is the only, and default, behaviour in AutoIt (at least the last time I checked).

yeah but it will still crash if the error is critical

And so will VB6 if it ain't core VB6 code. That is unhandled errors in API calls could crash your program.

• 7 years later...

SoftVoile, Red-Steel,

Check this out, line 26 or so,  (I know, I know, old post, but the problem is still out there for others):

Source:

https://github.com/ellysh/autoit-examples/blob/master/COM/ExcelFileTest.au3

#include <Constants.au3>

; Excel file Automation Example
;
; Based on AutoItCOM version 3.1.0
;
; Beta version 06-02-2005

; An Excel file with filename Worksheet.xls must be created in the root directory
; of the C:\ drive in order for this example to work.

Local $FileName = @ScriptDir & "\Worksheet.xls"

If Not FileExists($FileName) Then
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel File Test", "Can't run this test, because you didn't create the Excel file " & $FileName)
    Exit
EndIf

Local $oExcelDoc = ObjGet($FileName) ; Get an Excel Object from an existing filename

If IsObj($oExcelDoc) Then

Local $String = "" ; String for displaying purposes

; Some document properties do not return a value, we will ignore those.
    Local $OEvent = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "nothing") ; Equal to VBscript's On Error Resume Next

For $Property In $oExcelDoc.BuiltinDocumentProperties
        ; $String = $String &  $Property.Name & ":" & $Property.Value & @CRLF
        $String = $String & $Property.Name & ":" & @CRLF
    Next

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel File Test", "The document properties of " & $FileName & " are:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & $String)

$oExcelDoc.Close ; Close the Excel document

Else
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel File Test", "Error: Could not open " & $FileName & " as an Excel Object.")
EndIf

---
vicsar
https://about.me/vicsar

• Moderators

vicsar,

ObjEvent is only a limited solution (mainly used for trapping COM errors)  - if you have a critical error in your plain AutoIt code you will still hard crash:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_AU3Check=n

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $OEvent = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_Error")

; Create Internet Explorer object
Local $oIE = ObjCreate("InternetExplorer.Application")
; Deliberately cause error by calling non-existing method
$oIE.PlayMeARockAndRollSong()
; Check for errors
If @error Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "COM error")

; Bu tthis is not a COM error
$Vvar = 99
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Not COM", $vVar[0])

Func _Error()
    ; Do nothing
EndFunc

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Melba23, 

Yes you are right. It is a limited solution. I guess there is no way around proper error handling (I prefer it myself as well); however, I wanted to show Red-Steel an example I found. I mean, we must understand that sometimes we just want to run and make a simple script due to work deadline and the like.

Red-Steel,

Following is an example of error handling (at least it works for me);

; Activate XOnline App
Opt('wintitlematchmode', 2)
WinActivate("App - Agent")
Sleep(500)

; Triger search
Send("^f")
Sleep(500)
Send("@")
Sleep(500)
Send("{ENTER}")
Sleep(500)

;Find , in Chrome, the higlighted @ sign, orange pixel
$OrangePixel = PixelSearch(390, 170, 1540, 280, 0xff9632)
If $OrangePixel = "AutoIt.Error" Then
    ; Handling the error, if color not found
    ToolTip("", "")
Else
    MouseMove($OrangePixel[0], $OrangePixel[1], 0)
EndIf

;Find , in Chrome, the higlighted @ sign, yellow pixel
$YellowPixel = PixelSearch(390, 170, 1540, 280, 0xffff00)
If $YellowPixel = "AutoIt.Error" Then
    ToolTip("", "")
Else
    MouseMove($YellowPixel[0], $YellowPixel[1], 0)
EndIf
Sleep(1000)

; Copy e-mail from XOnline App. Click at the current mouse position.
MouseClick($MOUSE_CLICK_SECONDARY)
Sleep(500)
Send("e")
Sleep(1000)

I trust someone will find it useful at some point.

---
vicsar
https://about.me/vicsar

Is this a good place to ask for common error types, how to solve them and what would be good coding practice to prevent such problems to begin with?

I am very fortunate that I use AutoIt as a hobby, so I am not under the pressures @vicsar alluded too...  I tend to run my code 100s of times before I show it to anyone.  And then still sometimes the unexpected happens... 

My impression is that to "resume after error" one has to be aware of the potential error, and then have code in place to catch the mistake and proceed...

I often preload $var with a default value, then if something goes wrong, the script continues with the pre-defined default.

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

• Moderators

Skysnake,

My impression is that to "resume after error" one has to be aware of the potential error, and then have code in place to catch the mistake and proceed...

Correct.

vicsar,

Your example is complete rubbish - that is NOT the way to handle errors from standard functions such as PixelSearch. What on earth gives you the impression that it could return "AutoIt.Error"? According to the Help file you get:

Return Value

Success: a two-element array of pixel's coordinates. (Array[0] = x, Array[1] = y). 

Failure: sets the @error flag to 1 if the color is not found.

No sign of a literal string such as you propose.....

The way to check for error in this case would be something like this:

If Not IsArray($OrangePixel) Then
    ToolTip("", "")
Else
EndIf

or

If @error Then
    ToolTip("", "")
Else
EndIf

In either case, if the function does not find the colour, the code does not try to address the return as an array - which would create a hard crash along with the "Subscript used on non-accessible variable" dialog.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Here are my 2 cents worth:

As described in the help file the function "sets the @error flag to 1 if the color is not found.". It doesn't give any information about the return value in this case.
I remember a discussion with one of the Devs (when there were a "lot" of them). To sum it up: In case of an error the return value is "undefined" when @error is set.
So I would check the value that is set in case of an error. Here it is @error, other functions might set the return value to denote an error.
So I vote for code snippet #2 as posted by Melba above.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

@vicsar reporting a moderator? Not the most intelligent thing you can do. And for the record, @Melba23 was a whole lot more gracious in his reference to your post than I would have been. You cannot put forth something that poorly thought out and NOT expect to be called on it.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

vicsar,

I have replied to your PM.

Your code snippet in indeed "complete rubbish" and deserves to be called as such. Sorry you took offence at that remark, but I am afraid that is the truth and I would be remiss if I did not point it out. I carefully pointed out why this was the case and how the code should have been structured - I do not see how this "prevents other from learning", nor how it would "intimidate" them as you suggested in your PM. You can see from JLogan3o13's response above that I am not alone in viewing my response in that light.

If you post any snippets of that quality again you will no doubt get a similar response, from myself or another experienced user. Might I suggest that you post asking whether your approach is correct rather than immediately claiming that you have a solution - that way everyone will be able to learn, which is why we are all here in the first place.

M23

Spoiler