system functions in V3 question from a newbie

debstep

I am a newbie to AutoIt but I am very impressed with this tool and I am trying to figure out a way to use for some software installs.

I need to get some information from the system before installing my files and running other scripts. And I would like to make sure I can do all of the things I want to do :

First, I need to get certain information from the system, is Such and Such app installled and is such and such version installed and is such and such service installed.

Once I have checked installation and version info , I need to save these results in variables that I will later use to determine if something should be installed and where.

For instance, so far I can list all the JRE's installed on a machine to determine if I need to install a later version or if I can use an existing version.

However, when i am using the built in functions, I find there are some areas I need more info...

For instance, If I want to get the Windows Version, I can get the build number or a description like Win_32 as well as whatever Service pack is installed, But I cannot figure out how to display if the version of windows is a server or not., or a domain controller. I can do this in a WMI script, but is there a way to do it , or program AutoIT to pull more specific info?? Is therea table somewhere that maps windows build version numbers to a Descriptive caption?

I would like to avoid using wscript or cscript of possible.

Are there any built in functions for iterating through serivces and service states?

can you search for, start or stop services through AutoIt or only by opening a command line?

To run a VB script or a bat file, Must I first copy the script to somewhere on a local machine, then run the script?

If I compile a autoit script into a .exe, and I run the script from a CD, do I have to install Autoit on the target machine to be able to run the script??

When I am embedding graphic files in a GUI form, I need to copy the file onto the local machine before using it, even in a compiled .exe?

I apologize if some of these questions are too elementary, I think I will be jumping right in and stretching the limits of what AutoIT was intended for, and I LOVE the new GUI ability.

Thanks in advance for any help and answers....

not quite sure about some stuff but to answer the gui and compiling questions

If I compile a autoit script into a .exe, and I run the script from a CD, do I have to install Autoit on the target machine to be able to run the script??

No

When I am embedding graphic files in a GUI form, I need to copy the file onto the local machine before using it, even in a compiled .exe

Yes, but its not to bad just fileinstall it to the temp dir like this
FileInstall ( "image.bmp", @TempDir & "\image.bmp" )
in your code get the image from @TempDir & "\image.bmp" and you are all set

for getting if an app is installed just check the program files directory or if it makes a registry key check that key, to store if it is there in a variable just write

$Variable = "Yes or no"
if it is there write yes if it isnt type no quite simple. sorry but i can't help any more than that

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

Thanks for the info, you were very helpful.

I am still trying to find out hwo to get a meaningful caption for the Operating System...In particular, I need to find out how to determine if the XP version is PRo or Home, and if winodws 2000 / 2003 or NT

1) is a server 2) is a domain controller 3) has LDAP installed

Any Ideas?

Thanks