Learning To Script with AutoIt V3

BrettF

i found out what the problem was, it seems the .zip file is compressed with another .zip file and only after decompressing 2 .zip files the tutorial appears, the problem is when u extract the first .zip file the 2nd .zip does not have the .zip file extension and so it's not known by windows. but anyway, problem solved.

Hi there!

Late reply because my work is insane. Christmas time is busy for retail... :x

I just downloaded the release zip on 3 different computers running different OSs.

My testing steps:

File initially downloaded. It was a .zip. Fine.

Extracted .zip. Fine.

Opened main .PDF. Fine.

Opened Exercise PDF. Fine.

So no problems here...? What OS?

Merry Christmas! (Well where I am it is...)

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by BrettF

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been two years since the tutorial was updated. I guess the Notepad exercise is terminally broken?

Ya need to tack on a little text file or something, or maybe just a sentence on the download page, indicating that the exercise is really broken, to skip that and move on.

• 4 months later...

I noticed that alot of the tutorials, guides and the likes around AutoIt seem to be over a year old.

What is the support and learning resource base like these days. I am very interested in getting into using AutoIt, however the Docs are very unclear and the tutorials often do not cover information that many must assume you know(but I don't). For example people just say "Check your @error value to decided what to do next", I don't know how to check, use or implement Macros at all and just some highly basic, up-to-date info would be brilliant.

Cheers.

To me the most important tutorial you need is how to use the brilliant help file.

It has an example of how to use every single function, keyword and macro

a beginner will need.

Simply type it in the index tab.

For example you type in @error and it will direct you to a related function that

uses it

Status of the error flag. See the SetError function.

click the link to seterror below.

SetError
Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

I would agree with JohnOne that the help file (and the wiki) are your best places to start. I would add that you also have the best resource of all at your fingertips; the AutoIt community itself. You can always ask questions when you get stuck, and have literally thousands of people with a broad range of knowledge and experience that give of their free time to assist.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 1 year later...

I just downloaded and installed AutoIt v3.3.8.1.

I am running it on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system.

Wonderful document you put together for the newbie!

I am having trouble with the second example, the notepad automation.

It will open notepad just fine, but does not send the text to notepad.

Any ideas on how to make it work in Windows 7?

• Moderators

Hi, -removed-. You will get a better response if you create a new topic and post the code that you are using there. That will put more eyes on the subject to help you :)

Edited by Jos
User wanted to be forgotten

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Rhapsody11,

Welcome to the AutoIt forums.

Have you downloaded and read the tutorial? If so, do you have any specific questions? Other than that, reading the Help file (at least the first few sections - Using AutoIt, Tutorials and the first couple of References) will help you enormously.  You will also find other tutorials in the Wiki (the link is at the top of the page).

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area