Registry Export

I am trying to export/import some hives from my registry, some of which are protected, (ie. HKLM\SECURITY), and have hit the proverbial "brick wall". I have tried using ENGINE's excellent UDFs REG.AU3 & PRIVILEGE.AU3 and it works nice for the unprotected parts, (I thought the PRIVILEGE.AU3 would make it possible to export/import protected keys/hive). I used _RegSaveHive() on HKLM\SECURITY and it returned an error. Other hives under HKLM worked, like SAM and SOFTWARE...am I doing something wrong? I figured, since REG.AU3 UDFs sets privileges, it should work saving and restoring, but this is not the case. I tried playing with the privileges a bit, but can't get it to work.

My test script looks like this:

#include "Reg.au3"
#include "Privilege.au3"

$key = StringSplit("HARDWARE|SAM|SECURITY|SOFTWARE|SYSTEM", "|")
For $t = 1 To $key[0]
    FileDelete($key[$t])
    _RegSaveHive($key[$t], "HKLM\" & $key[$t])
    If @error Then MsgBox(0,"ERROR","ERROR trying to export " & $key[$t])
Next

Using the DOS command AT, (in XP), I can bypass privileges and get to the HKLM\SECURITY hive and even save or restore it. Though this method is messy and I'd really prefer to use an API call.

Can anyone help me out here? Am I being stupid, missing the obvious?

Thanks,

OldCoder

:)

Edited by OldCoder
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."                                      - Stephen Hawking                                        "...not the ability to exploit others."                                                  - OldCoder

*Bumpty Bump

Edited by OldCoder
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change."                                      - Stephen Hawking                                        "...not the ability to exploit others."                                                  - OldCoder

Awww, come on. Someone must know something about this? There are some purdy smart ppl on this board. :)

• 6 months later...

try this

Run (@WindowsDir & '\regedit.exe /E "file.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Key"')

people here are not very friendly with those who try to mess with secure stuff like me.

I dont plan to hack anyone i just want to make my life easier by hacking my own computer and giving ppl tools so they can do same. (plus all tools have source code caz i have nothing to hide)

Edited by lessstoopid