Detect servers are Online or Offline

mbkowns

Below are some examples of how I would detect a Microsoft server is online or offline. If I had any running databases then I could connect to that test reads or writes. Do any of you have any other ideas to better the detection if the server is up or down?

PING

Only works good if pinging is enabled and as long as the machine's network card isn't being overloaded (coping data many users slow link)

$pingerror = Ping($YOUR-IP)

If $pingerror Then

;Server online

Else

;Server Offline

EndifoÝ÷ Ù´Ä,Ñý°%Ø^n^°ÞyÛhrËZ¶ë(ªÞ'+¢Êµº1zË("×¥ëm¢Ø^¦í×ZصégzÛ-k+(¥éíéíë®÷«Ë©jwHrZ,zØ^±ë,²*'nëb~×¥ë_j)l×%¢Ç¬jwHq©Ýz׶ØZ·­èqë,{­±CÃ1
§çmë^w­r^(®Gڲ׫jëh×6$Telnet_PID = Run("telnet.exe mbkowns 139", "", @SW_HIDE)

ProcessWaitClose ($Telnet_PID, 5)

If ProcessExists("telnet.exe") Then
  MsgBox(4096, "", "Open")
  ProcessClose($Telnet_PID)
Else
  MsgBox(4096, "", "Closed")
Endif
Edited by mbkowns

Hi.

Of course you can code that on your own. PING is a nice approach to check a host's up/down status. For other services you will have to check that service directly. Simple services can be checked by telnetting the according port (POP3 e.g., DNS, ...)

If you are looking for a reliable, comfortable and powerfull solution, have a look at WhatsUp. Of course, that's payware. And it isn't cheap payware, if you need to monitor a big bunch of hosts/services.

Nevertheless you get a really good application with a lot of notification options in case services / hosts go down or are up again, or if they tend to fail (PING drops, e.g.).

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

I have the ping and telnet working great I am just looking for other ways to detect it. I am basically building that same program but now I don't have to pay for it and it does exactly what I want it to do. I know there are many non freeware programs out there that do this...

I have the ping and telnet working great I am just looking for other ways to detect it. I am basically building that same program but now I don't have to pay for it and it does exactly what I want it to do. I know there are many non freeware programs out there that do this...

Open port 139 and connect. If you can you got it.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE