Explorer.exe

Nova

The following code obviously refreshes the shell explorer.exe

ProcessClose ("Explorer.exe")
Run ("Explorer.exe")

Why dose the folder my documents also open when this code is run, and how to I refresh explorer without this folder opening.

Run ("Explorer.exe")

Why dose the folder my documents also open when this code is run, and how to I refresh explorer without this folder opening.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess becuase running explorer.exe is the windows file browser. Are you really closing the Explorer shell when you process close? It's my understanding that if you do that, you will force the system into shutdown mode? Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but.....try forcing explorer to close through your task manager and see what happens. I've done it before, and the results were ... less than desireable.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

try forcing explorer to close through your task manager and see what happens.  I've done it before, and the results were ... less than desireable.

Have you tryed it recently ?

Im using Winxp pro so I can only comment for it... but force killing explorer.exe from the taskmgr dose not cause your pc to restart.

Try it for your self if you donmt believe me :lmao:

Have you tryed it recently ?

Im using Winxp pro so I can only comment for it... but force killing explorer.exe from the taskmgr dose not cause your pc to restart.

Try it for your self if you donmt believe me  :lmao:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It always made my computer act funny and unstable afterwords. The last time I did it was on Win98. I use Win2k at home now, and WinXP Pro at work, and have not had any call to forcekill explorer.exe

Hi..

killing and restarting explorer.exe doesnt harm your windows, some times it could also help.. :-)

but about the folder opening, if you start explorer.exe when its already running, you get the "my Documents" folder. if it isnt running, it does only start, without opening a folder.

So you simply didnt kill explorer.exe properly.

It could be, because explorer.exe is all lowercase, or because the Prcesskill, cant kill windowsprogramms.

But then you can use PSkill from the PSTOOL form sysinternal..

mg Domonoky

I think your wrong mam, killing explorer for me has a definate effect.

I use it to refresh my desktop.

Trust me im killing it because when I do my desktop disapears untill I restart the process at which point my documents opens.

Anyone any idea how to stop my documents opening ?

It dosent open if I restart explorer.exe from inside the taskmgr I wonder why that is

I think your wrong mam, killing explorer for me has a definate effect.

I use it to refresh my desktop.

Trust me im killing it because when I do my desktop disapears untill I restart the process at which point my documents opens.

Anyone any idea how to stop my documents opening ?

It dosent open if I restart explorer.exe from inside the taskmgr I wonder why that is

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q130510/

And I think you're pretty much stuck...just put a

$hWnd_documents = winwait("my documents")
winclose($hWnd_documents)

after starting explorer.exe

Edit: Found something interesting at : http://lee.org/reading/computers/Configuri...e%20Options.htm

try this:

/inproc  Stops display of window (I don't know why this is useful)

Edited by Blue_Drache

I guess becuase running explorer.exe is the windows file browser.  Are you really closing the Explorer shell when you process close?  It's my understanding that if you do that, you will force the system into shutdown mode?  Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but.....try forcing explorer to close through your task manager and see what happens.  I've done it before, and the results were ... less than desireable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it will not force the system into shutdown mode, tested on Win98 first edition and WinXp Pro.

Of course you must start Explorer.exe again after you close it if it doesn't automatically load.

Edited by bshoenhair

Ok ive tryed everything suggested so far and the folder my docs still opens.

I just dont understand why killing explorer.exe manualy using taskmgr and restarting it dosent make my docs open but every other method dose.

Run ("Explorer.exe")

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is because if you kill your explorer.exe-shell it will be respawned automatically by the OS (not with Win9x-systems I think). Thus, you started a second explorer with your Run-command :lmao: . Edited by HighGuy

I dont think it respawns its self either.

You obviously don't know how Window's works. But instead of (incorrectly) guessing, how about doing some testing. Write a simple script to ProcessClose("explorer.exe") and then wait about 3 seconds and tell me what you see. If you don't see your shell come back, then you've disabled the auto-restart. However, judging by the entire point of this thread, explorer is restarting and you're starting a second instance.

The moral of the story is, the "I dont think" is the key part of that quote. Spend some more time thinking and testing on your own before running off to the omni-potent forum.

Where is the script that you are running?

Is it in My Documents?

What happens when you run it from another spot?

Just throwing some idea darts to see what sticks :lmao:

[font="Verdana"]People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Benard Shaw[/font]

Where is the script that you are running?

Is it in My Documents?

What happens when you run it from another spot?

Just throwing some idea darts to see what sticks :lmao:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Careful, if you throw a bad dart and it hits Valik, he's liable to throw a nuke

Believe it or not Valik I actually enjoy your little out bursts, even when their directed at me.

You have a very origional and intresting character...... and its clear that you hate stupidity and ignorance.

I would consider my computing skills as primative in comparason to yours..... but eventually my skill will increase and my haste and stupidy will vanish, untill then im going to keep running to the as you put it omnipotent forum.

Tnx once again for your valuable input, you were of course correct with your assumption.