Declaring Variables

Baraoic

So I have been wondering if I am missing something. I have noticed that there is an option for must declare variables, but by default its off. Then why is it that you can still get errors if you don't declare them? Then why doesn't autoit just auto declare all variables that aren't previously declared? Also I have read that its good to declare all of them why is that?

@Onichan

Its good to declare variables because a variable is never nothing (I dont mean ""), so you have to declare it to use it and you can specify variable to a thing :

$variable = "code";here the variable is code
 $variable = GuiCtrlCreateLabel;here the variable is label so with this variable you can edit it

I hope i've help you :)

Edited by FireFox

@Onichan

Its good to declare variables because a variable is never nothing (I dont mean ""), so you have to declare it to use it and you can specify variable to a thing :

$variable = "code";here the variable is code
 $variable = GuiCtrlCreateLabel;here the variable is label so with this variable you can edit it

I hope i've help you :)

Thanks for the response, but I know you can declare a variable to anything, but the thing is why isn't it by default blank. I think it would prevent a lot of errors, at least for me, because I use "$var &= 5" or similar quite a bit. Then whats the purpose of the option must declare variable then if you have to declare them anyways?

Thanks for the response, but I know you can declare a variable to anything, but the thing is why isn't it by default blank. I think it would prevent a lot of errors, at least for me, because I use "$var &= 5" or similar quite a bit. Then whats the purpose of the option must declare variable then if you have to declare them anyways?

The primary purpose, for me anyway, is debugging / scope checking..

• removes the chance for misspelled variables causing bugs
  • helps me ensure the intended scope of the variable is achieved. Local vs. Global
  • It's just good programming. :)
Edited by Zinthose

--- TTFN

+1 on that. Things like this and VB that let you get away without declaring is mad because it just cost you more time in the end chasing down variables because of spelling, scope and a tone of other reasons.

Do AutoItSetOption("MustDeclareVars", 1) and be done with it - u'll be happy you did.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]