Caravelle³ is back...

RomanK

Update:

The drag'n'drop directly onto the bar is working now. When you select or drop an Ink file, the icon is imported correctly and the destination file path and arguments are used.

Now I need to work on the new installer. I also created a new tab on the Captain, called Help. It will be the place for short explanations like "How do I delete Items?" et cetera.

So I guess I am ready to upload tomorrow. It will be marked as beta, as it is possible that there appeared some new bugs. However, I hope I fixed them already :o

-----

I am sorry for the delay, as it is monday now and I wanted to have everything done.

But unfortunately, one of my hard drives crashed on saturday and my operating system became inoperable.

I was working about 7 hours to get my system to work again, and I still have a loss of 135GB of data.

So please excuse me, but at the moment, that is much more important for me than AutoIt.

Have a nice day! :)

Edited by RomanK
[font="Courier New"]http://RomanK.hondadesigns.com[/font]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

The drag'n'drop directly onto the bar is working now. When you select or drop an Ink file, the icon is imported correctly and the destination file path and arguments are used.

Now I need to work on the new installer. I also created a new tab on the Captain, called Help. It will be the place for short explanations like "How do I delete Items?" et cetera.

So I guess I am ready to upload tomorrow. It will be marked as beta, as it is possible that there appeared some new bugs. However, I hope I fixed them already :lmao:

-----

I am sorry for the delay, as it is monday now and I wanted to have everything done.

But unfortunately, one of my hard drives crashed on saturday and my operating system became inoperable.

I was working about 7 hours to get my system to work again, and I still have a loss of 135GB of data.

So please excuse me, but at the moment, that is much more important for me than AutoIt.

Have a nice day! :)

Ouch sorry to hear about your loss, might i suggest a raid configuration if you have multiple hard drives so you have some back up? but anyway good luck recovering your loss.

peace,

iHonda

A great place to start Autoit 1-2-3

• 3 weeks later...

Caravelle 3.5 beta is available now! :think:

It is marked as beta, as it is not completely finished yet.

What is missing?

During setup, you'll be able to check or uncheck a send-anonymous-statistics checkbox. It has no code behind it yet.

At the end of the installation, you will be asked which language you want to use for Caravelle3. No, you won't, because I still need to code this.

In Captain, there are three new buttons: About, Update and Visit my homepage. About is working, the other two are without any function.

Looking at the About window, one of the things you'll see is the Language list. English and German are listed, but only English exists by now. I'll add German soon.

What are the great new things?

- Simply drag'n'drop any files or folders onto the bar, no matter whether Caravelle³ or the Captain is open!

- GUICtrlSetTip replaced by small GUIs which display an icons name!

- Help tab added which displays some kind of FAQ. Well, FAQ is the wrong word. On the help tab, the few things that people might not know or understand, are explained here. :)

- Uninstaller! Reachable from Control Panel > Software. Please not that the uninstaller is not able to delete itself and the folders, when an explorer window is open or when the path has 'Caravelle³' in it. Because of that reason, the installer will suggest 'Caravelle3'.

- Completely rewritten installer that always downloads the most current files. An installer which won't use the internet will also be available soon but only downloadable on individual request.

- The installer and the uninstaller (and also the About window of C³) are displayed in a cool Aero Glass style (on Vista). On XP, you'll just see a white background. Unfortunately, you can'm move ot minimize these windows. *Sorry*

About 5 bugs fixed since 3.44. Of course, I couldn't do very much testing on '3.50 beta' yet, so there might still be some bugs in it.

Once some of you use it and critical bugs are fixed (I hope there are no critical bugs this time), and I added the missing features, it will go from beta to final.

//EDIT: Link removed, critical bug that immediatly causes Caravelle³ to crash! I will fix this.

You want to give Caravelle³, its users and me a new language? You will be mentioned in the About window. How to do? Copy the following code, translate it and post it here.

Be careful of emtpy spaces, sometimes there is a specific number of them needed to make everthing display correctly!

Func Lang_Assign_Uninstall_English()

$Lang[1] = "This program can remove Caravelle³ from your system"
    $Lang[2] = "This is the uninstallation program for Caravelle³. To remove Caravelle³ from your system, check whether you want to keep your settings and shortcuts, then click 'Remove'."
    $Lang[3] = "Delete Caravelle³'s program files"
    $Lang[4] = "Remove saved settings and shortcuts"
    $Lang[5] = "Cancel"
    $Lang[6] = "Remove!"
    $Lang[7] = "The installation is damaged. Please install Caravelle³ correctly, then try to uninstall it again."
    $Lang[8] = "Error deleting registry values!" &@CRLF& "The uninstallation will still continue."
    $Lang[9] = "All files and registry entries have successfully been removed."

$Lang[10] = "\Icons couldn't be deleted!"
    $Lang[11] = "\Caravelle³.exe couldn't be deleted!"
    $Lang[12] = "\C3Sailor.exe couldn't be deleted!"
    $Lang[13] = "\Modules\C3Captain.exe couldn't be deleted!"
    $Lang[14] = "\Modules\cl1_header.jpg couldn't be deleted!"
    $Lang[15] = "\Modules\cl1_seperators.jpg couldn't be deleted!"

EndFunc

Func Lang_Assign_Captain_English()

$Lang[1] = "Shutdown C³"
    $Lang[2] = "/\ Edit Item /\"
    $Lang[3] = "Edit Item"
    $Lang[4] = "Shortcut points to:"
    $Lang[5] = "Select File/Folder"
    $Lang[6] = "Item Name:"
    $Lang[7] = "Save Changes"
    $Lang[8] = "Cancel"
    $Lang[9] = "Select a different icon from Vista Icon Library"

$Lang[10] = "...or from your Custom Icon Library"
    $Lang[11] = "This is the Configuration Utility for Caravelle³."
    $Lang[12] = "Start"
    $Lang[13] = "Add Seperator"
    $Lang[14] = "Add Shortcut"
    $Lang[15] = "Here you can add seperators to get some more structure into your icons."
    $Lang[16] = "As you add some items, you may want to gain more overview and put some structure into it." & @CRLF & "You can achieve this by adding seperators." & @CRLF & _
                "You can choose between white and black seperators, dots and lines." & @CRLF _
                & @CRLF & @CRLF & "To add one of these seperators, choose one you like and click at the 'Add'-Button below it."
    $Lang[17] = "Add"
    $Lang[18] = "On this screen you can add new items to Caravelle."
    $Lang[19] = "Decide whether you want to create a shortcut to a file, to a folder," & @CRLF & "or if you want to have a menu with a folder's EXEs and shortcuts shown."

$Lang[20] = "File"
    $Lang[21] = "Folder (Explorer)"
    $Lang[22] = "Folder (Drop-Down-List)"
    $Lang[23] = "Select the file/folder the item shall point to. You can click on 'Select File/Folder' or type in the path manually." &@CRLF& "The button next to 'Select File/Folder' offers some preset folders " & _
                "(not available in file mode)."
    $Lang[24] = "As soon as you are done with the previous step, the item's name will automaticly be filled in here." & @CRLF & "If you don't like the given name, change it.;-)"
    $Lang[25] = "If you selected a file, its icon will be displayed below. If not, you'll see a default icon." & @CRLF & "To change the icon, choose one from Caravelle's Vista Icon Library."
    $Lang[26] = "Add Item"
    $Lang[27] = "Clear Fields / Cancel"
    $Lang[28] = "C3 Vista Icon Library"
    $Lang[29] = "Choose a category from the list on the left, then select the icon of your choice and click on 'Apply Icon'."

$Lang[30] = "Apply Icon"
    $Lang[31] = "C3 Custom Icon Library"
    $Lang[32] = "These is the Custom Icon Library. All non-vista icons you use, will be automaticly stored here. Select an icon and click on 'Apply Icon'." & @CRLF & _
                "In addition to the automatic icon storage you can add and delete icons manually."
    $Lang[33] = "Add Icon to Library"
    $Lang[34] = "Please wait..."
    $Lang[35] = "Supported (*.exe;*.ico)"
    $Lang[36] = "Error!"
    $Lang[37] = "The icon was not imported. The file you have chosen, contained either no icon, or it was damaged!"
    $Lang[38] = "You need to select an icon in order to apply it!" & @CRLF & "But if you want to keep the icon from before, just close this screen."
    $Lang[39] = "Look && Feel  "

$Lang[40] = "Icon Size:"
    $Lang[41] = "Here you can change Caravelle's Positioning Settings."
    $Lang[42] = "Change Icon Size from "
    $Lang[43] = " To "
    $Lang[44] = " pixels"
    $Lang[45] = "Space between items:"
    $Lang[46] = "Distance from upper screen edge:"
    $Lang[47] = "Height of C³'s bar:"
    $Lang[48] = "Transparency:"
    $Lang[49] = "Colours:"

$Lang[50] = "Background"
    $Lang[51] = "Adjustment"
    $Lang[52] = "Caravelle's Screen Width is not equal to your current desktop resolution." & @CRLF & "The Screen Width of C³ will automatically be adjusted."
    $Lang[53] = "Seperator can't be added!"
    $Lang[54] = "Maximum item number reached! You can't add more items, first you need to delete one!"
    $Lang[55] = "Choose File..."
    $Lang[56] = "All Files (*.*)"
    $Lang[57] = "Choose Folder..."
    $Lang[58] = "The path you selected can't be used. Please choose a different folder!"
    $Lang[59] = "Please make sure that:" & @CRLF & @CRLF & "- the shortcut link is specified," & @CRLF & "- the shortcut's name isn't empty," & @CRLF & "- and an icon is selected."

$Lang[60] = "Item can't be added!"
    $Lang[61] = "Maximum Icon Number reached! In order to add another item, you first need to delete one!"
    $Lang[62] = "Caravelle³ Captain - The configuration tool"
    $Lang[63] = "About Caravelle³"
    $Lang[64] = "           Start up C³ with Windows:"
    $Lang[66] = "by Roman Kilgus, Copyright 2009" &@CRLF& "kilgusr@live.de"
    $Lang[67] = "About"
    $Lang[68] = "Special Thanks to the AutoIt community for giving me some tips and ideas. I also want to say thank you to Ikaika Honda (hondadesigns.com) " & _
                "for hosting me. And to my father for doing much beta testing and discovering many bugs."
    $Lang[69] = "Welcome to Caravelle³. If this is the first time you're using Caravelle³, I recommend you to take a look at the help tab." &@CRLF& "Next, I'd recommend to set the appearance settings to your fits." & _
                "You can change them at the 'Look && Feel' tab. Then you can go ahead and add some items: shortcuts to your programs, drop-down-lists of some folders you often visit or maybe seperators to organize the items."
    $Lang[70] = "If you liked my program, please recommend it to other people like friends, family or forum communities." _
                & @CRLF & "Should you notice a bug in this software, please let me know." & @CRLF & "The official homepage is http://caravelle3.owns.it" _
                & @CRLF & @CRLF & "Thank you so much,"
    $Lang[71] = "Do you really want to delete this item?"
    $Lang[72] = "Help"
    $Lang[73] = "If there is something you don't understand, simply click at the questions and you'll know the answer a second later!"
    $Lang[74] = "Using Caravelle³ is really easy. But still, this is a help section."
    $Lang[75] = "Computer"
    $Lang[76] = "Control Panel"
    $Lang[77] = "Desktop"
    $Lang[78] = "My Documents"
    $Lang[79] = "Network Connections"

$Lang[80] = "Printers and Faxes"
    $Lang[81] = "Program Files"
    $Lang[82] = "Font"
    $Lang[83] = "How to add shortcuts to Caravelle³?"
    $Lang[84] = "How to rearrange the icons?"
    $Lang[85] = "How to delete items?"
    $Lang[86] = "What settings does the 'Look && Feel' tab offer?"
    $Lang[87] = "Answer:"
    $Lang[88] = "In this case, using Drag'n'Drop is not possible." &@CRLF& "If you know a solution for this please report it to me so that I can further improve Caravelle³."
    $Lang[89] = "In order to add a shortcut to Caravelle³, you need to decide between two methods:" &@CRLF&@CRLF& "1. You can quickly drag'n'drop files or folders onto the quicklaunch bar. They will be immediatly added." & _
                "After dropping the file (or folder), the 'Captain' (this configuration tool) will open, so that you can change the item's name or icon and reorder it to your fits." &@CRLF&@CRLF& _
                "Note: When adding a folder per drag'n'drop, it will be run as an explorer window. To make it appear in a drop-down list, use the second way of adding shortcuts:" &@CRLF&@CRLF& _
                "2. Caravelle³ features an easy to use dialogue to add items to the bar. Switch to the second tab (called 'Add Shortcut'), choose which type of shortcut you want and go through the " & _
                "other steps as described there." &@CRLF&@CRLF& "Note: There are a few preset folders which can be selected with the 'V'-Button. When the shortcut type 'file' is selected, you can type in parameters" & _
                "(also known as comand line parameters)." &@CRLF&@CRLF& _
                "For reordering icons, see 'How to rearrange the icons?'."

$Lang[90] = "Rearranging the icons is really simple. You can reorder them by using drag'n'drop. How does drag'n'drop work?" &@CRLF&@CRLF& "Hover your mouse cursor over " & _
                "the item you want to move. Now click and hold down the left mouse button. While holding it down, move the mouse left or right, depending on the position where you " & _
                "want you item to have. As soon as it is at a position where you like it, release the mouse button. Now, the icon's position is fixed." &@CRLF&@CRLF& _
                "With this method, you can easily rearrange all your icons - and of course also the seperators." &@CRLF&@CRLF& _
                "Note: When you add more items than your screen width allows, the new icons will position in a second row below the existing ones. To move an icon from the second row to the first one, " & _
                "don't drag the icon upwards into first row, but move the mouse to the left screen edge and even more left. The cursor will disappear at the left screen edge and appear at the right screen edge. " & _
                "But not in second row: now it will be in first row! Now move your mouse (with the icon still being dragged) even more to left until the item reaches the desired position. Release the mouse. " & _
                "This sounds very tricky, but actually it is easy and really cool once you got into it after two or three tries."
    $Lang[91] = "Shortcuts can be removed from Caravelle³, by simply right-clicking an icon. A dialogue appears you need to confirm to prevent you from deleting an icon by fault."
    $Lang[92] = "The 'Look && Feel' tab offers some settings to change the visual appearance of Caravelle³." &@CRLF&@CRLF& "The first setting called 'Start C³ with Windows' is of course not a visual appearance setting, " & _
                "as it offers you to make Caravelle³ automatically starting when you turn on your computer." &@CRLF&@CRLF& _
                "For the settings equipped with sliders I suggest you try them out. You will immediatly see the results. " & _
                "Changing the icon size allows to switch between small icons (32x32 pixels) and large icons (48x48 pixels)." &@CRLF&@CRLF& "Near to the bottom, you'll find to buttons to change colours." & _
                "The first one lets you change the background colour of Caravelle³ (which can be further adjusted with the transparency slider) and the second one defines the text colour for the labels appearing " & _
                "when you hover over an icon (or click at it when you're in 'Captain'). ['Captain' is this configuration tool.]"
    $Lang[93] = "Translations:" &@CRLF& "- English by the Author" &@CRLF& "- German by the Author" &@CRLF& ""
    $Lang[94] = "Language"
    $Lang[95] = "Update"
    $Lang[96] = "Visit my homepage"

EndFunc

Have fun with the new version! :lmao:

regards,

Roman

Edited by RomanK

Info: I tried everything for making it compatible with 64 bit operating systems. It just doesn't and it will not work.

Info 2:

Fixed the mentioned bug which causes to crash. But unfortunately, I discovered a new one and don't know how to fix it:

The FileSelectDialog and the folder thing work as they should with the main gui (Captain). But when I edit an item, and want to change it's path, the FileSelectDialog doesn't appear.

The screen flashes for a milisecond strange, as if the dialogue would appear and immediatly close.

Any ideas what's wrong here?

regards,

Roman,

watching a film now and then going to bed.

Edited by RomanK

You can download the beta now.

// Link removed, see post #55.

Thanks to iHonda for hosting! :) ...I will edit and update the above posts (and the first post) tomorrow, as it's again evening now^^

By the way, as Caravelle³ comes to the mid of its life, I decided to make the source code public soon. It will be posted in parts from time to time, not all at once.

Well, someone translating already?

regards,

Roman

Edited by RomanK

You will not need desktop icons anymore.

lol in your video you have the caravelle though i dont like vista and i preferre rocketdock to your caravelle in looks very good and im sure it run just as gd as it looks and i find it hard to believe you made this please make more and/or msg me when you do as i would love to see your work even if i wasn't to use it and would like to see video tutourials on how to use and install thankyou!!! :)

Thanks to both of you! :)

@UFWU:

I thought about making more video tutorials / screencasts but it doesn't make any sense to do it before Caravelle³ is completely finished, which might still take some time...

As you didn't use any punctuation (like . and , ) in your sentence(s) I didn't understand everything. C³ works on XP as well as on Vista.

About whether using Rocketdock, Objectdock or Caravelle³ or whatever or alltogether.... it's your decision :)

• 1 month later...

I didn't get any further with Cara and so I stopped the project already weeks ago...

I decided I will open up a Development Team to work together on Caravelle³.

The source code will be open to this team, but not for public yet.

As soon as the first positive results appear, the copyright information will be updated to the whole team, not only me.

If you want to help and support C³ with your brain and some lines of code, and if you are a social nature and willing to get into about 2000 lines of AutoIt code,

PM or mail me, or contact me via AIM, ICQ or MSN. The contact information can be found on my profile page.

The development will restart in maybe two months, I am not sure yet. It could also be earlier, depending on you.

A forum (which is ready) will be used for all the communication. I will open it and assign the member-rights as soon as I think we'll be a powerful team!

I hope on you, regards,

Roman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been a long time, since I last posted here...

A specific bug I never understood made me give up and turn over to other hobbies for quite some time.

Yesterday, I decided to give it another try and take a look at the code. Guess what, I still didn't find the bug.

So I rewrote that part of code... and the bug is gone!

Now it's time to set up the homepage and feed it with working links and downloads.

Sadly, there are parts that still don't work - the installer doesn't create shortcuts and drag'n'drop refuses to do it's job sporadically.

The updater needs to be implemented, too. But the rest seems to work so far. I think I will get this stuff done in the next few days and I hope I will be able to post a download link here soon.

regards,

Roman

...with a new hope that 3.50 will finally work! >_<

Heya!

Here you go... Download Caravelle 3.52 (11.5MB)

If you already have Caravelle³ installed in an older version, please simply install the new one over the old.

The installation will go much faster (about one third of the time), because the icon library already exists.

And there's another good new message: Caravelle³ now works on 64-bit operating systems! >_<

regards,

Roman

PS. I completely commented out the registration part of the installation... :(

PPS. The German translation will be added the next days (tomorrow maybe?).

If someone is interested in writing a translation and being mentioned in the 'about Caravelle3' box, leave me a note or reply here.

Edited by RomanK

You have done a great job with this. I do still prefer rocketdock to this, but the fact that you got this far is amazing. Rocketdock isn't going anywhere. You seem to still be doing great strides. I do have one suggestion, though. Your installation process looks a little plain. I would suggest using Install Creator. This is what I use for any installation because it includes everything in one installation file. It is easy to change, and doesn't involve any coding. Great script.

Thank you, dantay9! >_<

I decided to make my own installation program because it gives me more flexibility. For example, the new installer downloads the newest files from the internet to ensure you always install the current version. But thx anyway for the tipp.^^

I just finished the German translation accompanied by a big layout change (but it's not really noticable). When a user had a higher dpi set on his system, it cut off some texts in the configuration program. This is now fixed as all the labels got new dimensions. It was also needed because in other languages, many words are much longer than in English.

The update is provided via Caravelle's updater :(. Call up the Captain (that's the first icon on Caravelle's bar), and you will get an update notification (if you're connected to the internet).

regards,

Roman

Attention! I just noticed that the updater doesn't initiate the updates.

Edit:

Now it is fixed. If the updater doesn't automatically realize that there's an update, please do the following:

- Make sure Caravelle³ is not running. If it is, open up Captain and click 'Shutdown'.

- Delete the folder 'Modules' from Caravelle³ (e.g. C:\Program Files\Caravelle3\Modules).

- Run Caravelle3's Installer. It should install into the same directory where Caravelle3 has been before

(In most cases the correct path will be recognized automatically)

Then you will have the working updater. Sorry, that it can't be updated easier. >_<

Edited by RomanK

Simply drag'n'drop any files or folders onto the bar, no matter whether Caravelle³ or the Captain is open!

And this once buggy feature...

___________________ Finally works!

The following is a quote from the changelog.

Feature: Finally working Drag'n'Drop onto the bar!

Fixed: Icon Libraries didn't react when editing

Fixed: Improved Minimizing/Restoring behaviour

Fixed: Language Switch didn't work

Have fun! >_<

Roman

PS. I will now turn over to create a new homepage. So, please, if you find any more bugs, tell me :( (if any one here is still interested in my program)

Edited by RomanK