GOSIP - Great Outstanding Shell In Perfection 0.0.2.11

Influx

Demo of shell currently being developed. Comments are welcome =].

others are welcome to upload screenshots of how it looks on their pcs =] (please do)

no, I am not sharing the source code yet, I may decide to, however I am unsure. =]

This hopefully will turn into a replacement for explorer.exe =]

Current features:

*Start Bar

*Start button

*Clock(dynamically updated)

*start menu with user name in top right corner

*rss feed that grabs top story from google news

*muti-process application

*writes 1 key to registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GOSIP

*Shows window on task bar and allows you to restore them.

*desktop(no icons yet SORRY)

*desktop background

*if you go to its directory in command line you can make a message box using the following command(planning on implementing MANY of these=])

"GOSIP -MsgBox 64*Title*text"(without quotes)

64 being the settings title being your title and text being your text

EXE(.ZIP):(images needed are included in EXE(background is in the ZIP), click the clock to close)

(0.0.2.10)[previous downloads:46]

screen shots:

post-43316-1230981231_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

If you helped with something in this please put your name and what you helped with so i can keep track of who helped with what.

Thanks everyone. =].

GRAPHICAL.zip

Edited by Influx

Yes, please tell us what it does - in a bit more detail.

Edited by Firestorm

[left][sub]We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.[/sub][sup]And the machine is bleeding to death...[/sup][sup][/sup][/left]

Interesting.

Any plans for features? I like the graphics. Kinda. I would be happier if you could choose them yourself.

I think you need to work on the Start Menu, and the displaying the task bar titles.

It doesn't cover my double high task bar, so maybe u need to work on making it dynamic.

And whats with the thing at the start? Maybe start to store settings too... :)

Cheers,

Brett

LOL im sure AM./PM is in registry somewhere... just gotta find it. And the start button/logo i made myself, the gradient background... yeah i borrowed that with photoshop xD.

Features are the full features of explorer.exe but with multi process' only called when needed to optimize speed and graphics. =]

Look up ReactOS. Its ugly. I planned on writing this to replace the ugly graphics, but if its efficient enough, then i plan to use it for windows too =].

I will make it resizeable and such :)

Any way to get a list of all windows to an array?

oh and great idea. a menu to allow users to define their own background and start bar! and save them to .gosip files =] (gosip theme files lol)

Edited by Influx

Not a bad start... But if you really want to be independant from the explorer.exe shell, you'll need to find a way for desktop icons.

And you don't need a date control, AutoIt offers macro variables (or however they're called) for date, time etc.

One thing I don't understand is, why you just imitate the windows shell. Why should anyone replace it with GOSIP if it looks the same and doesn't offer more features?

I'm curious! :)

[font="Courier New"]http://RomanK.hondadesigns.com[/font]

I am aware of the macros, they however contain no AM/PM information, only a 12 hour time =]

It will be an shell just like Vista. It will itegrate a search into the start menu (this will be a plus for xp users ect ect)

I plan to allow video streaming as background (for non ultimate vista users and xp users. I also plant allow active desktop (I.E.) windows (for vista users)

This will also be a multi process app.based on command lines parameters

so "explorer.exe /s AutoIt" would open a process searching for AutoIt and return all found files to a .dat file =] The original proccess would then read off the dat file, this would make up for a lack of the ability to multi thread un autoit, and would make the shell much much faster. I also plan to implement aero glass effect.

I am not even to the desktop yet =]. I thought of maybe using an I.E. control, however tis would not be pluasable for ReactOS(as it doesnt have the object) but i am still thinking and that is in the near futur ( ihave seen other shells that allow moving of icons, however they are all a bit ugly, and have very few features =] but the dragging i will ask to use)

and of course i assume 50%-70% of this will come from the community, seeing as i dont know nearly everything.

Okay, that sounds cool! I'd love to have a thing like Active desktop.... and video as background sounds also great (if the impact on performance isn't to much)!

Btw: you can't replace windows' own explorer.exe because it is still needed by the system, so you'll have to name your file different :)

[font="Courier New"]http://RomanK.hondadesigns.com[/font]

UPDATE

Demo of shell currently being developed. Comments are welcome =].

others are welcome to upload screenshots of how it looks on their pcs =] (please do)

no, I am not sharing the source code yet, I may decide to, however I am unsure. =]

This hopefully will turn into a replacement for explorer.exe =]

Current features:

*Start Bar

*Start button

*Clock(dynamically updated)

*start menu with user name in top right corner

*rss feed that grabs top story from google news

*muti-process application

*writes 1 key to registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GOSIP

*Shows window on task bar and allows you to restore them.

*desktop(no icons yet SORRY)

*if you go to its directory in command line you can make a message box using the following command(planning on implementing MANY of these=])

"GOSIP -MsgBox 64*Title*text"(without quotes)

READ FIRST POST FOR MORE INFO.(NEW SCREEN SHOT AND FILE)