Active Directory

Hi,

I am working on a little Kiosk PC app for work.

I've managed to restrict it so that only internet explorer runs (not even the shell) and I have shortcut buttons to my compiled exe's on the toolbar.

I have a shutdown, restart, and an 'unlock' button, (which executes explorer.exe and if the password is correct)

Now, I was wondering if there is a way to have it query a password in active directory, rather than having the password set as just a word.

For example, the Domain Administrator password is 12345, if that was changed to 123456, my unlock/shutdown passwords would be changed too.

Is that possible? If not I suppose I will look into storing the password in a text file somewhere on the PC, it's not of a high importance and you can't browse the PC without unlocking it first anyway.

Hi,

I am working on a little Kiosk PC app for work.

I've managed to restrict it so that only internet explorer runs (not even the shell) and I have shortcut buttons to my compiled exe's on the toolbar.

I have a shutdown, restart, and an 'unlock' button, (which executes explorer.exe and if the password is correct)

Now, I was wondering if there is a way to have it query a password in active directory, rather than having the password set as just a word.

For example, the Domain Administrator password is 12345, if that was changed to 123456, my unlock/shutdown passwords would be changed too.

Is that possible? If not I suppose I will look into storing the password in a text file somewhere on the PC, it's not of a high importance and you can't browse the PC without unlocking it first anyway.

Point those shortcuts to a short script posted on a share that is only accessible to Admins. When the kiosk user clicks the shortcut, they will have to authenticate to the share in order to run the executable.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Hello,

If it can help i'm using this little function to check if a domain user\password is valid:

If Not CheckAdmin($USERNAME, $PASSWORD, $DOMAIN) Then
    MsgBox(262144+16, $TITLE, "Invalid user or password")
EndIf

Func CheckAdmin($sUser, $sPwd, $sDom)
    RunAs($sUser, $sDom, $sPWD, 0, @SystemDir & "\rundll32.exe", @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE)
    If @error Then
        Return False
    Else
        Return True
    EndIf
EndFunc

In fact it checks if a domain user is local admin but if there is an error in the user or password it return false, so it can be used to check if the username is correct AND if the password is correct