Help Updating Restricted HKCU Registry Keys

I've been asked by a Network Admin for help figuring out a way to update some restricted HKCU registry keys.

(HKCU\Policies\Microsoft\.....) for example.

The User's do not have rights to these keys, but the admin wants to push some settings here. (He can't use actual policies for political reasons....)

He has the ability to start a process as SYSTEM or do a "RunAs" with an admin account.

The bugger is that both of these processes don't have obvious ways to write to the current user's hive.

We can't even manually load the Hive since it says it is in use.

I know in theory it's possible because I had used a destkop management package in the past that would update the HKCU keys via a Service running as System elsewhere......

While not really an AutoIt question persay, it is likely what I would use to solve the problem and I know there are lots of folks here way smarter than I that may be able to figure out this riddle.........

There is a dos command I think found in the resource kit. A tool I think for xp/2003 and im sure vista that will allow you to change user permissions (could be used in run() ). then regwrite() your new updated data.

that was the first thing thing that came to mind outside of searching the forum for "registry permissions". This of cource asuming it is a permissions issue.

my .02 cents.

GoogleDude